My otto keeps sucking on my fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
as said above the slime coat is being eaten and can damage gills and scales if attached to stongly.
must not be enough algae in the tank for the otto to eat, i'd add algae waffers. and in spare tank or plastic tub grow some algae, by filling the tub with tank water and placing in some large pebbles, then place the tub in a suuny/warm location, once algae has grown place stone into tank, once it's clean add a new one and put the cleaned one back into tub.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
slime damage

Damage to the slime coat allows for entry of bacteria and parasites. Adding a small amount of salt to the water will stimulate more slime, or any of the water conditioners that mention slime coat additives.

Very important that the oto gets food, but I found my rosy barbs were so greedy that no one else ever got an algae wafer but them. So, you may find the algae covered rock is a better way to go.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Ottos? They do that? I've heard chinese algae eaters doing it but not ottos. Must be mine have always had enough food?:confused:
I don't mean to discredit any of you, but can someone else chime in about this or direct me to a link that describes this? I've only had ottos for about 2 years and I know they can be picky about what veggies they eat. Seems that starvation is the cause of most deaths and I haven't seen many ppl complaining about this b4.
Maybe its a different species of Ottos?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
different species, maybe

Could be different species, but who knows what species of oto you have?

I have read about this problem in goldfish boards and discus boards, Puregold has a newslist but not archived boards so I cannot direct you there. SimplyDisucs and DAAH are discus boards, a search there should yeild something. And, there is always the Krib and APD.

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
Thanks everyone

I have hair algae in my tank, but the otto won't eat it. I also have a brackish water tank so I have lots of salt around. In my 20g wide freshwater tank I have 3 barbs, 1 zebra danio (his buddies died :( ), 2 cories and the otto. Would it be benificial to add a little bit of salt? If so, how much?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I don't know Dave. The article is written for plecos and although suckermouth catfish are referenced seemingly generally, I think it's more for all plecos...?
Oh well, until I have the problem, I leave it up to those who REALLY want to know.;)

Bill

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store