Clam vs. Condy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
I have a Tridacnid clam that is getting rubbed by condy tentacles. The clam stays more closed than usual (I have another one to compare it to). He is still able to siphon water. What I am wondering is if he wanted to move couldn't he? I know they need light as well so is he getting that while he is somewhat more closed? His mantle is open a little more than an inch which is about 1/3 of what he is usually open.

I would rather let nature take its course but I don't want to lose the clam nor kill the condy by trying to move it and pollute the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'm not sure if your clam is very motile at all at this stage in it's life cycle. Most of the time they just tend to dig deeper into the rock or sand bed. I would try to move whatever the condy is setting on a bit," hopefully not the clam :rolleyes: . IME condys are one of the biggest PITA in the anemone world. Mine ate about $100 worth of fish and stung a bunch of my other critters to death. Before being exiled to another tank. I don't know how much of that the clam can take but, I'm a chicken when it comes to things like that.
hth "yes I'm biased against condy's in reef tanks so please take that into account when making you decision and keep us posted.
Chris

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
I moved the condy. He was on the same rock as the clam but I was able to wedge him out. I tend to agree with you on the condy species. I just can't seem to keep true anenome's with much success so I quit buying and killing them. My maroon clown needed a home . I only spent probably $200 worth of true anenomes for it with no luck and he sits in the stinkin $5 condy. :mad:

The clam is back out as usual so I think he will be fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store