I think my fish attacked one another when I was gone, help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

burntblues

Registered Member
May 23, 2004
Carlisle, PA
Visit site
Hey there, I'm new on the forum, I was hoping to get some help.

I've got an Oscar and a wolffish that share a 150 gallon tank. I went to a concert for a night and when I came back this morning it looks like they may have fought a little. The oscar has white marks on the very top of his head. He's about 10" long with a head of about 1/2" wide. One of the marks covers about a third of his head. When he comes and looks at me at feeding time it definitaly looks like skin is missing. The wolf fish is a fairly new addition, about 3 weeks old. He's only 3 or 4 inches long, but is highly highly aggressive. He also has a white mark on the side of his body, but he stays hidden so I can't see if skin is missing. SOmething tells me the oscar may have taken a snap at him for having to go almost a day without a food. I don't think the spots are any parasites or anything like that, the small jack dempsey in the tank (2") doesn't have any marks on his body. The spots don't look bumpy or anything like that. My questions are:

What can I do to help the wounds heal?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again in the future?

Also, I'm going to be going on a trip for memorial day weekend, is there anything I can do for a 4 day long weekend?

Also, I haven't been able to find any information about this wolf fish, does anyone have anything?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
****, id be afraid it would eat me from the description.

melafix can help mend some wounds. i use it in my cichlid tanks when they get bitey. works great.

have you seen them battle at all?

burntblues

Registered Member
May 23, 2004
Carlisle, PA
Visit site
Aha! Information at last! I'm still looking for some information on feeding though, I tried last night to get him to eat some cichlid pellets, but he won't have it.

Thanks so much spartan!

I picked up some melafix and that seems to be doing the job.

Rich, I only saw one quick little chase so far, but the oscar runs in fear of this thing. Its absolutely incredible, my oscar is massive compared to this wolffish but he's terrified of it. The oscar was at one time the dominant fish in the tank, but definatly not anymore.

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on what I can do with these things when I go away? I'd prefer not to have my neighbor feed them just because she's pretty clueless. I know it isn't difficult, but last time she overfed my other oscar so much that the water in the tank turned dark brown. Well, that oscar didn't make it. How long can I let a tank full of fish go without eating?

Also, does anyone have any advice on raising feeder fish?

Thanks again,
Mike

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I don't know anything about wolffish, but read one of the descriptions posted here, and it seems like it will try to eat anything it can get its mouth on if it's not fed every day... I am generally against automatic feeders, but in your case, I think you should invest in one. OR if you want, you can ask your neighbor to do it, and put the exact amount of food you want her to feed each day into an envelope or ziplock bag and give her strict instructions (one envelope once a day or whatever).

Melafix should work just fine, btw, it's good stuff!

Good luck!
~Tara

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
ps... I just read the middle description spartan posted for you and that fish is scary! "and can move over land if necessary, making use of an additional breathing organ" - YIKES!

Do you have enough plants, maybe some driftwood too, to kind of divide the tank up into territories for the fish? That may help ease some of the aggression.

Also, as for feeders, I don't know anything about breeding them... I can't imagine it's too hard though! Guppies breed like nobody's business. Get a 20 gallon tank, heat to about 78 and add a little bit of salt and have alot of plants (real or fake) for fry to hide out in. Get 4 males and 8 females (it's best to keep 2f:1m to keep the females less stressed).

Good luck!
~Tara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store