Seachem's Discus Buffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bennubird

AC Members
May 13, 2004
Germantown, MD
Visit site
Does anyone have experience using Seachem's Discus Buffer? If so, do you like it? My concern is with the phosphates that it will add to my tank. I'm adding R/O DI H2O to a tank that at one time had really hard water. I find that even after several partial water changes and one huge water change that there are still anti-acids in the water causing my pH to creep up. I'm considering using Seachem's Discus Buffer but would like to get a few opinions first. Maybe Proper pH 6.5 is better or the same. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For those that are curious I plan to keep discus in this tank.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Years ago I used Discus buffer (tap water ph 8.6), It seemed to work fairly well but was extremely hard to regulate, and every time I missed a water change, I had to re-think how much to add etc. It really was a hassle, because it lacks long term stability. As a summary, I would say that it does work, but you will have to be on top of your game at all times or you will see swings. I also ran peat in my filters which helped with the stability issue somewhat, but didn't allow me much of a break. In looking back from now, I think my fish would have been better off at 8.6 than the swings I put them through. But of course they weren't discus either.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
R/O water should do the trick, at least as far as removing buffering agents is concerned. Do you have suspicious gravel or decorations that might be leaching buffers into the water?

Still, even when using R/O water you can't use it 100% and need to add back trace elements and buffers. The Seachem product works well for the buffering, but if you are trying to use it as a softener it won't work and will contribute to the phosphate problems you mentioned.

What kind of water changes are you doing, what are your tapwater parameters, etc.?

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Harry, make note that I'm not the original poster, but...what do you think about the various Seachem Trace products?

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I use their cichlid salts (for Rift Lake cichlids) with great success. For the rest of my tanks, I just use the Nutrafin mineral blocks by Hagen, because my tapwater is very soft and needs buffering and minerals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store