Fishless cycle with Ammonium Carbonate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Denz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Seattle,WA
Visit site
After 4 weeks since I started fishless cycle, I still don't have a nitrite spike in my 55G. I can't believe it. I didn't have anybody who could give me some gravel or decoration to speed up my cycle, so I started from a scratch. At the beginning, I couldn't find a source of pure ammonia, so I decided to go with the fish food. After putting fish food for a week, I managed to find Ammonium Carbonate (NH4HCO3). I dissolved it in water, and I got the solution (H2O+NH3), which I started to use for my cycle. The tank looked very nasty because of the decomposed fish food. I gently vacuumed my gravel and added back the 10G of water. I did one mistake thou. I added the water and then put my detoxifier in to the tank after almost one hour (I totally forgot about it). I don't know if my top water contains chlorine or not, but if it does would it kill the bacteria that was already in the tank? Has anybody done the cycle using Ammonium Carbonate? All the parameters are OK. My ammonia is about 5 ppm, and it doesn't look like it is going down at all. Last time I added ammonia more than a week ago. I have read many forums and articles about fishless cycle. Sometimes it takes about 6 weeks to cycle the tank, but usually people complain about nitrate levels. In my case I don't have even nitrites at all after 4 weeks of cycling. The longest cycle ever. I would appreciate any comments.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Does the ammonia level drop at all? Or has it always been 5 ppm. If it dropped at all (short of a water change) I woudl expect some nitrite to show up.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
When you added water with out declorinating it....how much was it....if it was almost 100% new water i wouldnt doubt against it killing the good bacteria....if it was like 20% of the total water then i would think it would dilute it enough to not cause as much harm....i did the same thing on my feeder tank and it was about 1/4 of the water that wasnt dechlorinated and about 20 min. later all the feeders were gasping for air at the top of the tank....so if they survived it, i would think the bacteria could......

Denz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Seattle,WA
Visit site
TKOS,
The ammonia level is stable from the beginning. It's about 5ppm. It is not going down at all.

Seaman,
I've changed only 10G, which is almost 20%. Theoretically, chlorine is added to the water to kill all the bacteria. I guess it depends on concentration of chlorine in the top water. I am not sure about time if chlorine kills the bacteria instantly or it takes some time. I guess it is a question for an environmental engineer.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I"m no chemist, and don't know if the Ammonium Carbonate becomes bio-available ammonia or not, but it would seem to be OK.
Without a bacteria seed the start can be very slow, sometimes as much as 3 weeks before you se anything happen. one theory is that the bacteria land in the tank, more likely they live through the water treatment, and come in through the tap water. either way they will eventually show up. My suggestion, assuming all other better ideas (like borrowing gravel or filter , or filter media) are not feasable is this: Go buy a couple of dirt cheap potted plants, chuck the plants or give them to a friend, and take the wool that they are potted in and put it in your tank, preferably in the filter. the wool is a good place for bacteria to colonise, and it should give you a decent seed. don't plant the plants, live plants, light and 5 ppm ammonia= huge algea bed. If you can't get potted plants patience is effective, but you will have some extra wait time before things get started. It is possible that the chlorine retarded or stopped things and you have started over, it's eally hard to say. In all honesty I'd give it 3-4 weeks after the water change with no dechlorinator before I would worry about something else being wrong. I know waiting stinks, but it will pay off eventually.
Dave

chkltcow

AC Members
Jul 13, 2004
Stanley, NC
www.baneverything.org
Another way that might get it jump started is a plant from a LFS or Petsmart or something. Buy something that comes with peat that the roots are in... like watersprite.... and plant it. You're likely taking a colony of bacteria from what SHOULD be an established tank at the fish store. So long as you don't rinse the plant in chlorinated water before you plant it, it should introduce it to your aquarium and start spreading.

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Trust me on this one, don't plant the plant in a tank with 5 ppm ammonia, unless you want to grow algea. I did this! The peat or the wool provides a good bacteria starter colony, but if you plant the plant and light the tank, you are asking for trouble. If you are like me and don't mind the algea battle go ahead and plant it. Algea isn't the end of the world.
Dave

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The use of rock-wool (not peat or other) planted commercial materials is not for the plant - the plant is baggage, you can cut it off and discard it if you wish. The commercially propagated plants in open-mesh plastic pots are grown as cuttings or divisions in hydroponic solutions up to the top of the rockwool, with the plant is exposed, emerse, but under mist so it is effectively saturated air and does not dry out. The roots are in ammonia/ammonium-containing solutions, the rock wool is support only for the roots - but during the plant's development time the rock wool develops a substantial colony of nitrification bacteria. Putting the pot and rock wool in the tank introduces large numbers of the correct FW bacteria. Pulling the rock-wool apart and layering it under your biomedium would be even better, but there is risk, as rock wool fibers can be a major irritant to gills if dispersed in the tank. Just adding the intact pot with rock wool is safer and does the job. The shorter the time the potted plant has been in the LFS, the more bacteria will be present. If you get it/them the day the shipment is received, you can run a short-time fishless cycle - but dosage is tank-size related, so in a larger tank, use several pots. You can keep the plants, just don't do high light. If they survive, it is a bonus, if they die, it is food for the heterotrophic bacteria, so you are cycling those at the same time.

HTH

Edit:

daveedka - don't plant the plant, drop in plant and pot intact, on top of the gravel, preferably in current. The rock wool is the key, not the plant.

Denz - what is the carbonate addition doing to your KH?

Last edited:

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
daveedka - don't plant the plant, drop in plant and pot intact, on top of the gravel, preferably in current. The rock wool is the key, not the plant.
Err Umm, I think that was what I tried to say. Worked for me, I Put the rock wool in a nylon bag and hung it beside the filter intake when I did mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store