Thinking of switching to sand substrate...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I have a three gallon (Marineland System Three) aquarium that currently has a gravel substrate that I am thinking I might switch over to sand, Tahitian Moon Sand, and I have a few questions before I do so:

1). Would sand be a good choice in a tank with Java Moss, Anacharis, along with a few silk plants?

2). With live plants, how many inches of sand should I have? Would I need anything else other than sand? I already use Flourish Excel.

3). What, if anything, would I do for maintenance with this kind of substrate? Does it need to be stirred regularly?

4). How I would keep the sand from getting into my filter. As I mentioned above, I have a Marineland System 3 aquarium with a power filter.

Seeing as this is uncharted territory for me, if anyone has any tip/advice/suggestions, I would really appreciate them. Thanks!

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
1. both java moss and anacharis gets most of their nutrients through the water so sand is ok.

2. If you're planning to actually plant the anacharis and not weighing it down or potting it, you'll want at least 2 and 1/2 inches of sand. Sand doesn't have any nutrients in it, so plants with extensive root systems will need a nutrient rich substrate. In your case, anacharis doesn't grow alot of roots so it'll be fine with just sand.

3. Sand that is deeper than 1 and 1/2 inches will need to be stirred occasionally to prevent anaerobic bacteria from growing and creating toxic gas. The flipside is that you don't need to gravel vac sand, being denser than gravel, most of the detritus will not sink deeper into the sand. Just pass the gravel vac an inch above the sand to suck up the gunk but not the sand, then stirr the sand afterwards.

4. wrap the filter intake in filter floss or a sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store