Algae Eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suzabbe

AC Members
Aug 22, 2004
I'd like to get an algae eater/sucker mouth cat and have been looking at two species to choose from: Chinese Algae Eaters and Butterfly Loaches. I'd like to put it in my 20 gal tank and would like recommendations, pros and cons of each species. The tank currently holds a male betta, 2 elegans corys and 1 small (slightly larged than fry) guppy, oh and apparently at least 1 snail.

My ideal would be to get 2 of whichever species, but that's only because I like to have 2 or more of a kind. Not a priority though. And it all depends on how large they grow, if they get along etc. If these two species, mentioned above, would grow to big for a 20 gal tank, what algae eaters would you recommend?

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Well, don't get the Chinese algea eaters. They are notoriously vicious when older. They will suck on the other fish's slime coats. They also aren't great at eating algae. Butterfly loaches also aren't that great at eating it, as far as I'm aware.

What kind of algae do you want them to eat? The soft kind, or the long, filamentous kind?

Otocinclus are the best soft algae eaters. Peaceful and small, the quintessential algae eater.

Also, whatever you get, you will need to suppliment their diet with algae wafers and fresh veggies.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Ottos are great but I can't get them in my area. Stay away from the Chinese algae eater like Leopardess says and also avoid many of the plecos. Common plecos get huge and some of the others aren't big on eating algae. A small bristle nose would be good and the usually max out at about 4 to six inches.

suzabbe

AC Members
Aug 22, 2004
Yes, I had a 10gal tank years ago and purchased a pleco (not sure what kind) from a pet store... the thing got HUGE, I'd say roughly 6 inches in a 10gal tank! No one told me they would, I know better now.

The algae I have is soft, yes. I think I just liked the butterfly loaches instead of actually having them as algae eaters, I guess.

I'll look into the recommendations above for algae eaters. Thanks again!

jamzwayne

I love Pl3co's
Jul 28, 2004
Athens, TX
www.thegodshatetexas.com
More Oto Cat info

Latin Name
Otocinclus affinis or Otocinclus mariae

pH Value
6.5-7.0

Water Temperature
74-80 deg. F

Size
2"

Breeding
Egg Layers

Feeding
Algae, Vegetables, Tablets

Notes
They are very similar to the Chinese Algae Eaters but smaller. They do well in tanks under 20 gallons

Lighting
Bright, but not direct sunlight

Temperament
Peaceful, a very good community fish. Loves rocks and vegetation. They love hanging on the glass walls of the aquarium

Comments
They are a necessity for any small aquarium but an absolute must for a larger environment. For larger tanks, try to get at least a school of 4 fish or more. They love to swim around together and are a somewhat active swimmer. They can be often found hanging upside-down under a leaf or behind a piece of driftwood. They can grow upwards of 2" in length. A very inexpensive fish, which can be distinguished from other algae eaters by its distinctive angled head shape.

carttman

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I just bought 4 oto's last week because my 29 gallon of tank was covered in brown algae. They had the tank spotless by the next morning. I love these little guys.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
A couple of points of disagreement:

Otocinclus do not eat filamentous algae - their mouth is not built that way.

To me, and Oto is nothing at all like a CAE. They do not look alike, act alike, eat alike.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store