Stocking the community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sally

AC Members
Sep 16, 2004
Seattle
Looking for some advice on stocking a 25 gallon high freshwater tank. Currently I have two male platys, one fancy guppy, one dwarf gourami, and five young (1") black phantom tetras. Do you think this tank is fully stocked or will I be able to add a couple corys, a shrimp, and a few other fish (suggestions?). Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to give. I have an Eclipse filter system, an air pump with air stone, my ph is 7.5, 0ppm ammonia, less than .5 ppm nitrite (which amount is reducing every day as I'm at the end of my initial cycle).

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
You still have room for 3-4 more small fishes so small cories like pandas should be fine. Shrimps don't add alot to the bio-load so you can add some as well.

Sally

AC Members
Sep 16, 2004
Seattle
Do you think it would be overstocked if I add two corys, two shrimp, and a small school (4-5) cardinal tetras? My husband is really interested in getting the cardinal tetras.

Drakerizzo

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Hi Sally,

I would say you would be overstocked if you were to add the two corys and that small school of cardinal tetras.

I would also recomend getting more then two corys they are a social fish and like to be in groups of 4-6.

Good Luck

Sally

AC Members
Sep 16, 2004
Seattle
Thanks. So, if I add 4 corys and a couple of shrimp, you don't think I'll be overstocked? What if I decide to forego the corys, and add the shrimp and the small school of Cardinal Tetras? What are the pros and cons of this? Thanks in advance

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
The phantom tetras and cardinals both likes to hang out in the middle of the tank so it may look a little crowded. Cardinals are shoaling fishes that likes to be in schools of 6 or more. Adding 6 will put you a little over what I'd consider as overstocking, which is still manageable if you keep up with your water changes.

Personally, I'd go with the 3-4 cories since you don't have any bottom dwellers. I find cories more active and cuter in behavior than cardinals, cardinals are rather boring in groups smaller than 10.

Or you can also add more phantom tetras since they are also a schooling fish. If they hide alot then adding more will help.

Sally

AC Members
Sep 16, 2004
Seattle
Okay. Forgive me if I seem to be repeating myself. I just want to be clear. If I add 3 Corys, two shrimp, and a couple of phantom tetras, that will be okay? Also, will other tetras school together, such as if I get something other than phantom tetra, will they school with the phantom tetras? Thanks again.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
I think you'll be ok with 3 small cories (panda, julii, peppered), 2-3 shrimps, and 1-2 more phantom tetras.

Schooling fishes will usually hang with their own kind unless they feel threatened, then they'll school with just about anything (safety in numbers). so cardinal tetras aren't likely to school with phantoms unless they're scared.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store