I hate mantis shrimp...I want them dead dead dead. 8-)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bemyers

Registered Member
Nov 1, 2004
Here's a great story for you all. So I get 100lbs of rock from Tampa. Over the last three months I have pulled 13 mantis out of it. And there is still one left. JUST when I think I have them all...click click click. I can feel a Mouse Trap (movie) episode coming on!

Two weeks ago I even got to the point of submerging every piece in fresh water for two minutes (after taking the chlorine out of the water). Unreal that one of those *******s survived even that.

I'm just beside myself. I loved the rock and loved the idea of aquacultured rock...but I don't see how I have a choice but to go back to Tanga. What I need is a mantis-only poison, any ideas?

--Brian

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
I think the little Octopus that was in my Tampa Bay Saltwater LR must be taking care of them!! Maybe I can rent him out??? :D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, octopus are amongst the best mantis exterminators, but there are many fish that will make a snack of one. Once you know what type you have, you can determine if it poses a threat to your other animals--for example, spearers are more a threat to fish than to other inverts, while clubbers usually leave fish completely alone but go through crustaceans like popcorn. Of course, there are other fish that will make the mantis a snack--triggers being one of the most efficient hunters.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
It's a shame you can't get to them and eat them yourself. I eat them all the time. Quite tasty little jokers. Then again, I catch mine in the cast net while shrimping for white and brown shrimp on the east coast. We have a specie here that can get to nearly a foot (my biggest catch was 8 inches). The big ones make neat pets in a specie tank. Otherwise, add a little Old Bay seasoning, boil for 3 minutes, peel, and eat....

QUOTE: ***Unreal that one of those *******s survived even that.*****

You could probably soak the little jerks in formaldehyde and not kill them. I caught one this one time in my net (a big one) and decided to keep him just for the heck of it. When I got him home, I realized I didn't have any salt mix, so he sat in this bucket with 2 inches of water, and, of course, I forgot about him. He ate most of the one striped killifish (an attractive native) that was in there with him, but the head rotted and fouled the water. Three weeks later the mantis was still in there in that puke-looking water. I froze him and fed his tail meat to my damselfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store