Oscar Shock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

montanaxvi

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Columbus, OH
I tried looking for something like this to wanser my question but came up empty on even how to search for it. Here is the thing, when I get up for work 3:30 AM EST, and walk into the living room I see Oscar idling near the middle of the tank just chilling out. I usually have a hall light on by this time so there is some light in the room, but by no means is the tank or anything near it lit up. When I turn on the tank lights, mind you he is waiting at the top for me by now to get fed, he usually (80% of the time) will turn a sickly pale shade of grey and go lay on the bottom like he is dying. He does not seem to be ill as his gills are not moving any more or less than normal, he just drops down and lays on the bottom, sometimes totally on his side like he is dead. 5 minutes or so of this on the mornings he does it then he is back at the top bright and perky ready to eat his breakfast.

Any suggestions on lighting or such or is the Oscar just being a goofball. I have never had any other fish do this before including the Betta which is in the same room about 5 feet from the Oscar tank same routine every morning for the two of them as far as lights and feeding.

jib

Anyone out there nub sprickets?
Dec 16, 2004
Boston, Ma
My tiger oscar will do things very similar to that. Sometimes, not always-less the older he gets, when the lights get turned on in the morning he'll go the bottom and lay there like he's abou to die. Just as quickly as he does that he's back to his normal self, attacking the walls of the tank, etc. I've always thought this happened because he got spooked for whatever reason. Once or twice if something got dropped and made a loud noise and shook the floor he would react the same way. It never lasted(the laying down part) more than a few minutes and he always went back to his aggresive hungry self, so I never put that much thought into it, just my experiences.

cthopper

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
My Oscars are the same way. Whenever the light goes on or there is a loud noise they go to the bottom and lay down. They are back up in a little while, though. Just the other day I gave them their first feeder guppies. They were slow to react to them while the light was on, but when the light went out the guppies magically disappeared :)

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
My Oscar does the exact same thing. I turn the lights on and leave for awhile so that he can wake up and adjust to the lights being on and then sometimes before the food hits the water he turns pale and goes to the bottom or he gets agressive and attacks the tank wall. And then a little while later he is ready to eat. I feel the same way when my alarm clock comes on in the morning. I just want to pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep.

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Nothing to worry about. That's just how Oscars are. Sometimes, in the middle of the day with all of the lights on, my Oscars will go to their part of the tank and just lay down for a while. 5-10 minutes later, they're swimming around as usual.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store