Filter Media Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riso-chan

The Blue Girl
Jan 17, 2005
Florida, USA
I have a TopFin powerfilter 60 on my 55 gal and I was wondering about my filter media. I use the typical carbon/floss cartridges that have to be replaced every month. I was wondering if I could use sponges instead of worrying about throwing out good bacterial colonies. If I did this, what would have to be in place of the carbon? Could I just buy a jug of carbon as a seperate media? With the seperate carbon, does it last longer, or does it have to be replaced too. How long does it stay good in the jug? Thanx in advance.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Carbon isnt really neeed, you only need it to get rid of medicine, and clear up the water if it gets cloudy. Put on a sponge, and rinse it in old aquarium water when you do changes and you will be fine. Carbon loses its usfellness after about a week or two anyway, so for two weeks out of a month you dont even really have any carbon.

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
you can just rinse out the cartrage filter media in tank water when your doing maintaince,thats what i do w/my whisper 60,wich i think is a simular filter.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I run a Penguin 170 on my 14g, with sponges designed for AquaClear filters in place of the Penguin inserts. I don't use carbon at all (planted tank). If you want to use sponges (which, IMO is a great idea :)) you can buy a filter media bag and a box/jug of activated carbon to use when needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store