Cammallanus Nematodes..anyone know how to get rid of them ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I have some rams that have these nasty nematodes hanging from their vents. I have been treating them with Jungle's "Anti-Parasite" medicated fish food for two weeks now..per instructions on the bottle...which says to feed exclusivly for 3 days straight each week for 4 weeks.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for these things to go away ? I can still see the stringy things hanging from their vents....this last week I treated them for 4 days straight with the food. Is it normal to take this long?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol....guess not much experience out there with these things.....I suppose I have to do a websearch now (sigh :p )....(I sometimes wonder why folks don't do that sort of thing first before coming here with questions....lol....probably for the same reason I don't....like the company here ;) )

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Levamisole is the only known medication that works.

I managed to get rid of it by removing the dead fish quickly, q-ting fish that I thought to be affected, and doing frequent water changes. I think it was mostly luck that I didn't lose all my fish.

Forgot to ask - are your fish showing signs of "pinched" bellies, or spinal deformities? These are common symptons of camallanus.

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
No, no pinched bellies or spinal deformities....though I did loose one female. She was the first to show symptoms and I guess by the time I figured out she had something and what it was and got the meds to treat her...she was to the point where she really wasn't eating..so the medicated food didn't help. All three females were from the same batch. The male I have I bought a few weeks later and he was from a different crew, he shows no symptoms as of yet.

The other two seem to be doing well as far as eating...one's a real pirannah when it comes to eating. The only symptom they have is the reddish threads coming from thier vents and thier color isn't up to snuff most of the time. The medicated food I bought specifies that it treats for camallanus.

I have both of them seperated. One is in a 2 gallon by herself, the other is in a little hang on tank in the 29 she was in. I am also treating the others in that tank as well. I keep her in the little tank so I can be sure she eats the food I put in....she hates it and ignores it most of the time, but will eat sparingly. I syphon out the bottom of the little tank frequently to keep it clean and also to get rid of any spores or whatever that may be in there.

Thanks for the responce Aqua...guess I have to wait it out for now...

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
It sounds like you've caught it in the early stages. The pinched belly and spinal curvature are signs of the later stages of infection. Hopefully the medicated food will help, but it would be a good idea to see if you can find levamisole. You'd probably have to ask a vet about obtaining some.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Gotcha......what would the dosage be and how do I administer it ? I do have some live black worms..would I soak them in the stuff before feeding them to the fish...and, would that kill them..the worms that is ?

Anything you can tell me will be very helpful Aqua...dealing with this issue is a first for me.....good learning experience ! ;)

Thanks again AL ! :)

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I haven't used the dewormer myself, but from the info I've found it is a one-time water column treatment. You dose the tank, then follow up with a complete water change and thorough gravel vac 24 hours later. It's supposedly hard to overdose it. Here is a short article on treatment that gives dosing recommendations:

http://www.cincikillies.org/Camallanus.htm

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Ewe, these critters sound nasty......I did some more research and it seems that they do need a crusteacean type host to get to the point where they infect another fish....so far none of the other fish in that tank have shown any symptoms at all. I still have the female in the little hangon tank and I syphon out the water from that about 2-3 times a day. This little tank is setup so that water has to go up a section and into some slots on the side. I figure anything that comes out of her will go to the bottom of this little tank and not be able to get out into the big tank...(is this wonderland and is my name Alice?)...

The medicated food I am useing does have levamisole as an active ingredient so I'm hoping it will work...but that "one dose and done" treatment that you mentioned does sound very appealing. I read up on that at the site you got that info from. Seems you can't go wrong with that med as far as dosage, and it even seems to have some beneficial effects for the fish...hhmmm...I may just make a call to the local vet or feed store this week.

Thanks much for all your help Aqua !

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
YEAH !! (I think !)

I may have gotten rid of the nematodes from one of my rams.....at least I don't see anymore threads hanging from her at this point. I'll be keeping her in the little isolation tank for a bit more to be sure....funny thing is...it's the ram who just picked at the food that seems to be rid of them..lol..the other female ate that stuff like a hog...almost faster than I could get it in there and she still has one hanging from her...go figure...

Both of them are still in fairly good health otherwise...decent color and not all thin and sunken in...I have high hopes for these two ! :)

Does anyone know how to tell for sure if those nasty buggers are gone or not ?

Text

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Farmer City Illinois
Real Name
Randall
I have some rams that have these nasty nematodes hanging from their vents. I have been treating them with Jungle's "Anti-Parasite" medicated fish food for two weeks now..per instructions on the bottle...which says to feed exclusivly for 3 days straight each week for 4 weeks.

Anyone know how long it usually takes for these things to go away ? I can still see the stringy things hanging from their vents....this last week I treated them for 4 days straight with the food. Is it normal to take this long?

try this
Active Ingredient: 250 mg Piperazine base as Piperazine Citrate per each teaspoon (5 ml)
its cat roundworm medication .It kills invertebrates gradually .anything like flukes leeches etc will die in 2 to 3 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store