Mudskippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I found juvenile mudskippers at a LFS. I am planning on setting up a tank for 2 juveniles. I did a bit of research, and it will have sand sloping up, with a root and smooth rock for them to come out on. The book I read said a specific gravity of 1.005 to 1.015.
It also said that water should be about 2 inches depth. My question is in regards to filtration, with such a shallow depth of water what filter is practical? (obviously not deep enough for internal or HOB). I am also under the impression they like foods which they can hunt and stalk.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Mudskippers are amazing little creatures. They are my third favorite fish with the first being Anablep Anableps (4-eyed fish) and second being Mono Sebaes. I currently have 2 Skippies in a 20L with about 15 gallons of water do to 3 Anableps, Mollies and a Dragonfish needing more water. They will soon be moved to a 55 gallon with 1/2 water 1/2 land. I am currently using a Penguin 170 on the 20 but plan to use a HOT Magnum on the 55 along with an undergravel. Undergravels are the easiest way to go with Skippy's. I know it is no longer the method of choice but is the only practical solution with Skippy's. I feed my Skippy's and Anableps frozen bloodworms, frozen brine, live brine, and flakes (the Anableps always steal food from the Skippy's!). Hope this helps and you can have more than 2 inches of water in a Skippy tank.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I have a spare UGF, but I was planning on using a beach sand substrate. Wouldn't this clog the UGF pores? Or is there a way around this? The books I read also say that eventually they will need around a 4ft tank.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
The best way to use a UGF is in reverse. I have sand in my tank and this is how I use it. (a timed basis, on/off)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store