Live Rock Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Apple5150

AC Members
Mar 9, 2005
Kent, WA
I was wondering, can you get some live rock, and then get some regular rock from your LFS and let it grow onto each other? I was looking on TBS and noticed that all of their rock that they started growing looked just like the stuff at the LFS. So, I started thinking since Live rock is so expensive in the Seattle area $8+/pound, that I would buy about 50# of live rock and then buy the rest in normal rock and let them grow together and move around. The tank is very well established, I have been running it for at least 5 years, I am just now deciding to switch it to a reef tank, and starting out from scratch so to speak.

Does this sound like something that would work? The LFS that I would buy my Live Rock from has very good rock, it looks alot like stuff from TBS, so I know it should grow good. Has anyone ever done this? I am filling a 55 gallon tank, so I really cant afford to buy 200 pounds of rock to fill it. I am planning on buying a product very similar to Bio-spira from the Saltwater specialty store in the area since they dont carry Bio-Spira, and no one around can even recommend a place to get it from. They only do Saltwater and actually do leases and company set ups and maintance, and are very reputable around the area.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Paris

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep. Make sure you get porous rock, to provide more surface area for the bacteria to colonize. Lace rock works well. It will take a bit longer for the coralline and encrusting organisms to make the tank look mature, but this is a great way to save some money. I prefer to use dry lace rock for the base layer anyway--no point paying big bucks for something that's going to be buried under the sand.

When using any cycling product, be very careful. I wouldn't assume that it will work--add the product and a source of ammonia, and test to make sure the bacteria colonies establish before adding any live stock.

Apple5150

AC Members
Mar 9, 2005
Kent, WA
Thanks for the info. I need to do a water change, so I was going to make my water and let it sit and add the cycling product to that and watch how it works. I dont want to kill off all the bacteria in my tank or screw anything up, so I have been thinking this through for a while.

When you mention the rock to get, I am not sure I know what kind you are talking about? Do you know where I could find some pictures to look at and see if I understand? Thanks.

Paris

firehunter451

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
KS
i have just set up my reef tank a 6 weeks ago using lace borck for the base (saving money) and lr up top. i am starting to see some life moving to the base rock from my live rock. (really cool) i have been told that it may take 6 months for you not to be able to see the diffrance. i am very pleased and i think that you will be also.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
I use big pieces of Tufa Rock. Its like lace rock but its calcium carbonate based rock so it buffers at the same time, and coraline algaes stick to it like glue!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store