Green Spotted Puffer Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Berger

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
South Dakota
www.bergera.com
I currently have a green spotted puffer and I was wondering I could add another puffer like another green spotted or a figure 8?

I've heard puffers do best in a species tank...and I guess I never knew what that exactly meant.. ahh well let me know what you guys think

Berger

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
How large is the tank? I have 2 GSPs (5") & a ceylon puffer (3") living in a 45g tank. It also depends on the puffers themselves. One can be a pit bull & another can be a pussycat.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
GSP seem to do best in mid to high BW or even SW, hold their color and grow to full size. They are more likely to be aggressive to tankmates than any other puffer in their size range, but individual variations from puffer to puffer are unpredictable.

Figure-8s are only half the size of GSP, seem to do best in light brackish, and are not (generally) as waspish as GSPs.

Not a good combo IMHO.

Berger

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
South Dakota
www.bergera.com
my GSP is about an inch long maybe less and he's in a 10 gallon tank by himself right now..the Specific Gravity is 1.012 I think...I would like to get him a GSP buddy and then when they start getting bigger moving them to a 20g

so do you think one buddy his size would be ok?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
A GSP grows to 6" as an adult. A 20gal is barely large enough for one fish. I started mine living together small. They seem to be getting along fine as larger fishes. I think part of the reason is the larger tank they're in. Also, lots of hiding places & broken lines of sight.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
The LFS I go to all the time has figure 8's and GSPs together in a tank and they've had no problems but I guess the salinity does become an issue. You're better off putting something like scats, monos or archer fish with your GSP.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
What the LFS can get away with short-term with juveniles, and what a hobbyist can do with adults during the puffer's 15-20 year lifespan is likely to be quite different. They do have young Jack Dempseys and Red Terrors together also, don't they?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Monos are schooling fish, scats grow as large as your outstreached hand. Neither will fit in a 20g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store