Compatible Fish for Red Cherry Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaveWW00

Registered Member
May 1, 2005
I was thinking of getting a few red cherry shrimp to put in my 10 gallon planted tank that only has one fish (a wild bluegill i caught) that i am going to release soon. I hear that they do really well in planted tanks.

Anybody know of some good species i could put with the shrimp that wont eat them or nip at them? Hopefully i can get the shrimp to breed but i dont want to put fish in there that are going to eat them or the newly hatched shrimp.

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
I think Corydoras will be ok with them since they are usually peaceful bottom dwellers, Of you could try a nice lil school of some sort of tetra like Black neons or lemons.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
If you want to breed the cherrys, I'd suggest keeping them alone as IndianaSam said. They're pretty small to start with, and baby shrimp are tiny - most fish would probably see them as snacks. Adults should be safe with gentle community fish like small tetras, cherry barbs, honey gouramis, otos, hatchetfish, etc. I've got 1" Amanos in with my cherry barbs, they completely ignore the shrimp. I'm not sure about keeping cherries with more robust community fish - I tried ghost shrimp in my 65g and they didn't last very long with the angel and swordtail hunting them.

jjanoch

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
I blinked and almost missed how long 4 cherry shrimp lasted in my tank with two three-spot gouramis and zebra danios (not sure if the zebras went after them or not)

3 shrimp were gone within 5 mins....one went under a rock and lasted 24 hours, till I saw them picking at his dead body the next day.....what a shame, guess I didn't do enough research prior to that purchase!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store