Green spotted puffer tankmates?plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
are there any? from the articles I've read thanks to RTR's links, there are no suitable tankmates for GSP's. Has anyone had any luck against the rules? I've admired knight gobies in the past but never wanted to do the brackish thing to get them but now that I'm setting up this tank to brackish, sure would be nice if it'd work somehow. enough hiding places? Also, some people say no plants, others say they've got plants. I know I've seen plants in brackish setups, what do I get? thanks, KYle

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Yes, other GSPs, Damselfishes, certain gobies, and you can even have hermit crabs if you disguise them well enough!

However, they will soon need a full marine environment when they surpass around 3-4 inches.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No offense, Oddball, but I'd go with RTR. He's been keeping brackfish fish and puffers for quite some time, and if he says no other fish will be safe with the GSP, I have no reason to doubt that advice at all.

A big part of the problem I've seen with puffers is that their personality changes drastically as they mature. They go from loosely shoaling to very territorial in just a few days--not enough time to even notice the problem until you have dead, ripped up fish. Not worth the risk, IMO.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Anthing with an adult GSP which has not been a tankmate from the start, has to be considered expendable as it may either be killed and/or eaten at any time. That said, in a roomy tank, GSPs which cohabit from tiny sizes on have a better chance of coexisting, but you do get the occasional rogue. They will commonly cohabit with Ceylons from small sizes as well. But in all those cases you are talking sizable tanks and visually complex setups. A bored GSP, like a bored Oscar, can be a troublemaker.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
That's true, but look at PufferPunk (who has not been on recently). She has damselfishes and other fishes with HER puffers, so there. :-D

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
My buddy is all alone, and I think I'll keep it that way, I can't picture him every tolerating another tank mate, let alone getting along happily.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have had some long-term luck with a few damselfish but the last new one seemed to dissappear overnight (nice fish, cost me $30). The hermits eventually subcummed to pufferteeth, althou lasted over a year in with them.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
sivic said:
I used to have a GSP in a tank with some mollies, pictus catfish, and a ropefish. Didnt have too many problems but ended up selling the puffer cause i couldnt provide the brackish setup he would have needed.
GSPs tend to be less aggressive when younger though, and less aggressive when in a stressful environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store