Zebra Puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
Does anyone have any info on these fish? My LFS has them but doesn't seem to know much about them. I need to know how big they get, what salt content they live in, and their temperment. Thanks in advance.

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
Yep I think that is the one they have, the only thing I don't get is that they had it in a brackish tank when it says it is a freshwater puffer! I do like that they are less aggresive than other puffers. Thanks for the site!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
they prefer fresh to light brackish which is like 1.002 I think.
I've got one in light brackish with my green spotted puffer right now. He's going to be acclimated to live with some red bellied pacus soon.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
They are very nice FW puffers, as far as puffers go. I have 3 living w/6 dwarf puffers, a parrot cichlid, frontosa & 6" royal pleco. They love blackworms, freeze-dried plankton & snails. It was very difficult to get them to eat snails, until I started putting them into a breeder net w/the snails so they could find them. Up till then, I had to trim their teeth. They are one of the few puffers I can actually recommend for a community tank of larger fish, as long as they have lots of room to get away & hiding places to feel secure. They can seem nervous to most people, because they never seem to stop moving for long. I would definately not keep them w/any larger, more aggressive pufffers, like the GSP.

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
Well I went out and bought one and a small Mono today. So far I have a few mollies that started my tank, the zebra puffer, mono and a small irridescent shark in my 90 gallon brackish tank. The Puffer seemed right at home when i put it in the tank. I had a brackish tank about ten years ago and had a bunch of green spotted and figure 8 puffers with mono's and scats and had great luck.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I agree that C. asellus is a FW fish. It does not need brackish water.

It is one of the mildest-tempered puffers, but I personally never suggest any puffer for community tanks. They are not trustwothy fish for that use IME.

Also agree that training them to eating snails is imperative - they are one of the puffers with very fast-growing tooth plates and without snails or other hard crunchy food in their diet several days a week you will have problems.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Monos are scooling fish & will do poorly singley. They eventually need to be house in SW as adults. The shark & puffer are FW fish. Evenyually the shark will grow large enough to eat the puffer. I believe they get at least 2'.

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
Puffer,
Thanks for the info! I knew about the mono's but I wanted to get one at a time. Next week I will get 1 or 2 more. The shark on the other hand will have to go once it gets to be about 6 inches or so. The funny thing is the guy at the store said that it would be fine in my tank. From now on I will be doing my homework on each and every fish I buy. My wife really wanted the Shark and I know she will be upset when I have to get rid of it.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Just keep in mind that some shops are still just out to make a sale. They don't really care if what you have is compatible they just want the sale. It would be advisable to add the Monos all together since the current Mono will dominate any new ones. Just watch your current Mono's color and activity level. Next week I would add 3 of the Monos together. A school of 4 Monos will be fine. I have always gone to a store and if I see something I like, I go home research and if it fits the ticket, then go back the next day to get it. Luckily most places around me care more about the fish than the money they bring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store