GSP hunger strike help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

airborne

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
hey all, my gsp in a full marine tank has gone on a hunger strike i think this has to do with me adding a new fliter to the tank ever since then his belly has turned black and his flourescent green back has faded to brown. also he refuses to eat anything i put in the tank. any suggestions on what to do? i really have no clue and it's freaking me out i hate to have to watch him shrivel up and die. any advice would be highly appreciated. thanx

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
How long have you had him? Did you just get him from a store and add him to a salt water tank? Most stores keep them in freshwater due to ignorance and to go straight form not salt to high salt would stress the fish pretty badly.
Was he in a brackish tank and then you just moved him to a salt tank
How big is the tank?
Is the tank cycled?
Do you have a test kit to test the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH and if so what are the readings.

airborne

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
no i've had him in the marine tank for quite some time now it's just that recently i decided to add a new fliter due to his messy eating habits, and ever since there he's refused to eat

airborne

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
he was in freshwater but that was like 6 months ago, and yes the tank is cycled all parameters are normal, but he just won't eat. Is there a stimulant i can use to make him eat or something?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
What is the tank size and what are his tankmates? What foods have you tried? I would try snails, frozen brine/bloodworms, live brine, Ghost Shrimp, or fresh shrimp from your local fish store. The dark belly and dull color is because he is stressed about something. Since you added a new filter it is probably cycling (high ammonia) which puffers don't do well with. I would double check your test results (maybe even bring in a sample to your lfs) and report the results here. Some peoples definition of normal is different. You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, high pH (7.8+), and ideally low nitrates. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

airborne

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
update: he's turned back to his normal colouring but still refuses to eat any food whatsoever. He's in a 10 gallon tank all by himself there r no tank mates. i normally feed him fresh shrimp, brine shrimp and crab legs unshelled for his weekly abrasive food. i've been trying to get snails to meet his diet requirement but i haven't found any that are small enough for him to eat, i was told instead to keep to unshelled invertabrates for the time being i'm planning to take a water sample to my lfs, thanx for the advice much appreciated.

airborne

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
for one little inch long puffer? now i'm no expert but 30 gallons seems like over kill i can understand when he gets to 6 inches but for now i think 10 gallons for one little fish is quite enough

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store