heater mishap..... nightmare!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
So yesterday, I finally dove in and got a mushroom rock for my SW set-up. It took me a little while to settle on the placement of them on the LR but finally, after an hour or so, I was settled. I went in the other room for TV. A few hours later, I hear a crack as if something exploded..... I don't know what did it, but I ran into the "fishroom" and there I saw smoke billowing from the SW tank. I ran to the power cord, flicked the switch and took a step back to assess what was smoking. The glass covering of the heater was at the bottom of the tank, and the electronics were in the tank but attached to the cord still. It smelled like "firecrackers". There was also this film of black gunk at the top of the water that I feel pretty confident that I got most of it out. The mushrooms I got shrivelled and I was a bit worried that I had just waster about $50 on this rock (which is actually two). This morning, the shrooms are opening back up, some are all the way open, the others are about 3/4 of the way. I am going to the LFS to pick up a new heater and I will be getting a submersible. The tank is a 46 gallon corner tank. Can someone help me out with how many watts are probably my best bet for this tank? In the tank I have a few snails and zebra hermits crabs, a porcelain crab, 2 clowns, 3 other damsels, and a Pajama cardinal. Some of you may remember this tank was originally my sister's who decided she just didn't have the time anymore.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ah..... that's what I got. I bought a submersible one, the last one wasn't..... I have it in the tank now, I'm waiting to turn it on.... I can't believe how much the temp dropped. It's about 78 now..... *sigh* as reiverix says, thank my stars that I was home when it happened. The heater says that it is for up to 45 gallons, but it was the highest watt heater they had and I figured all the deco and sand in the tank have to account for something and went with it. Thanks Mo for confirming that for me ;)

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
Wow, that's nuts...

I've had hang on heaters bust in my FW tanks before, IMO they are lowsy heaters... They break fairly often compared to other heaters, Mine never did that though... wow

I've had my lights drop in the water while I was fishing in the tank. Nothing ever happened? Someone up above has been looking down below, and I think He's either laughing at my stupidity or just shaking his head...

I'm really glad no one was hurt, you or your tank buddies.

:fairy:

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
They're a little more expensive but I wont use anything other than Titanium heaters in any of my tanks.

The last glass heater I had broke and killed a species of Scorpionfish, that I had, that was still un-ID'd. I had feelers out to almost all the public aquariums in the country and also to some colleges, known for their Marine Bio. Depts. No one had every seen this species.

Then, I come home from work, one day and find that the heater had cracked and killed the fish.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Dangerdoll said:
thanks guys.... wow AW... that definitely bites.... where did you get the fish?

I got the fish from a LFS, here in Chicago. They're known to have odd species in, at times...but, they're also the most expensive store in the city. They had no clue what kind of fish it was. I knew it was some species of Scorpion but didnt have the slightest idea about species.

My best friend works for Shedd Aquarium, here in Chicago and I sent him pics and all info I had on the fish. They're researchers and biologists were searching and had never seen the fish before. They tried, for months, to get me to bring it in.

I also had a professor from a college in Cali. beg me to let him buy it and ship it to him but I wouldnt do it.

Then, the damned heater mishap. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store