Plantex CSM+B Plus Extra Iron vs. plain Plantex CSM+B.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tazcrash69

AC Members
Apr 19, 2005
Hawthorne NJ
OK, I'm about to order all my dry ferts from Greg Watson, and want to know if I should get the Plantex CSM+B Plus Extra Iron instead of the plain Plantex CSM+B.
I'm new to dosing with ferts, and want to know about any drawbacks to having:
a) too much Iron
b) too little iron
(Which is worst for Algae?)
And what is the easiest way to dose iron if I get the plain.
I don't have an Fe test kit, but I do have hard water if that is an indication of Iron.

Thanks

55 Gal
130 Watts of 5600 compacts
60 Lbs Fluorite
10 Lb Co2 tank with Milwakee regulator

And I still need time to finish setting up the tank tank.

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
In my opinion, I would just go with the CSM+B without the extra iron.

Flourite is a porous fracted clay which is naturally mined and is rich in iron; primarily ferric.

I not familiar with any reasons why you would want to supplement addition iron into the water column, unless you are keeping a fast growing non-rooted species which would benefit from such...?

Anyone else have some input on this?

Cheers!
Raithan O. Ellis

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Obviously there is a demand for iron products, otherwise Greg wouldn't have concocted such a formula. I believe the extra iron users are those with red plants. If you had a majority of red stem/bunch plants, it may be something to consider.
As Raithan stated, rooted plants can get their iron from the Flourite.
Do you need the 10% iron formulation vs. the 7%? Maybe, if you have the aforementioned plants. Will it do any harm...doubtful.
Since you're paying for it anyway, I'd go with the 10%. You can always cut back on the dosage (and save some $) as opposed to adding extra to make up for the lower Fe.
Hard water is a result of higher Mg and Ca, not Fe, but most likely contains many other elements (including Fe). Without doing an analysis, it's hard to say what is in your water (a report from the local water authority would help) but it probably has many of the elements your plants need.

HTH

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Will extra iron harm your fish? No
Will extra iron result in algae? No
Will extra iron help your plants? Maybe, maybe not
Will not enough iron harm them? Yes
Does the +iron formulation cost more? No
How long will the iron in Fluorite be a viable source before the substrate is depleted or the iron oxidized? Months to a year.

All things considered, I'd go (and did) with the extra iron formulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store