Replaced pc bulbs, red slime out break

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaytonaConnecti

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
first off iam new here... i have have my 48gal corner tank set up for about 4-5 years now, just live rock and a few dam,and a bandit shrimp, anyway the other day i messed up bad and did a 20gal water change, and put all fresh water back in, salt droped low it took about 25 gal of salt mix to get it back up, over a weeks time at two gal at a time. after that, i noticed red turf,on some rocks,so i started thinking it has been 4-5 year sence i changed my pc bulbs, so i did, three days later the red turf turned into red slime,iam at a loss ... my tank is at 79 temp nitrate are at 10,ph is 8.2, salt is at 0.25, also i have a 800gph pump hooked to a squid wave maker that has a cross current setup.was it the light, or other factors...thanks Bill

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Hard to say exactly what happened, but the shock of the sudden change in salinity may have knocked down your bacterial population that normally competes with the algae for nutrients. Changing 4 year old bulbs suddenly increased the light considerably, giving the red slime a little more help.
I'd be willing to bet the problem will slowly reverse as the tank regains equilibrium. For the short term, you might try more frequent water changes and siphoning off the slime.

DaytonaConnecti

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
red turning green

its been almost two weeks when i put the new bulbs in ,and the red slime is turning green, is this normal, salt 0.23 ph 8.2 water temp 79 nitrate 20 doing a 5gal water change today, its a 48 gal corner tank with 130 watts pc litghting set up far at least 4.5 years,,, pc bulbs had never been changed scence tank was set up, with what happend with the fresh water thing and the new lights, is it possibal thats its trying to re cycle....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store