Hey guys, first Saltwater tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbecot01

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
McGuire AFB, NJ
I've been reading alot, and am fairly far into the setup process, but have a few questions.

I have a 10 gallon tank. I put in water, live rock, and live sand. About two weeks later I added 4 turbo snails, 3 hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. It's now two or three weeks from then, I finally got my hands on a test kit.

Ammonia, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 20 PPM. PH is 7.8.

So... I think my PH is supposed to be higher. In freshwater it's frowned upon to raise PH artificially... should I add something to bump it up or what?

Those readings should mean my tank has successfully cycled and I could add the first fish... right?

3 of my snails have died. I think the hermits were responsible, even though I had gotten a few extra shells for them... they seem to prefer the snail shells. If I replace the snails, will they keep killing them?

There is some red growth on my sand, one of the aquarium walls, and on my powerhead... is this some sort of algea? And if so, should I scrape it off or let it sit?

Thanks for the input guys :)

SteveD

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Your PH is low for sure, I would test for alk then get some buffer to raise it a bit. You can even use a little baking soda. It would seem you tank has cycled. You may have either cyano or diatoms, either is normal for a new tank. Just make sure you have enough flow and do some water changes to get your nitrates down a bit, and it will go away. Are you running a skimmer? I started with a 10g and found life alot easier once I bought a skimmer. I now have a prizm on a 7g nano reef and can't even detect nitrates good luck!

winter

AC Members
Nov 16, 2005
Spain
hm, I'd wait until Nitrates go down 10... I just have a 10g and my cycling was 2 months, and started with a sarco when NO3 was 5. Nowadays all of them are undetectable.
Perhaps you may introduce some macro to get rid of it.

Your snails probably died because the lack of food and unstable water. Tell us a bit more of that algae you have founded, if its red or pink could be coralline algae, that its ok unless its in the middle of the front glass ;-) it creates a calcium white structure below to grow. Check this to id. If you have good calcium levels and good light I think (and hope) its more possible you have this.

brown, diatoms, bright green, blue, black, but even sometimes also dark pink are cyanos. Not good ones and to have some is sometimes 'part' of the cycling process. I neved had any of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store