What are your thoughts on Velvet Guard for green water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AQUA_OBSESSION

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
I was at my favorite lfs today and he said that velvet guard was the best thing for green water. Is this really the case? Please share your thoughts and experiences with this product.

Thanks!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I've heard it works on green water, too, however:

"Do not use with live plants, snails and invertebrates"

Since you are posting in a Plant forum, I assume you have plants, so I wouldn't use it :)

What else is in this product? I can't find an ingredient list. Dozen donuts says it's Victoria or Aniline Green.

Roan

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
I agree with Roan. Green water does not require nukes.
The best cure is to find the nutrient imbalance or nutrient spike that is feeding it, fix that, and water changes will clear it up. A UV filter will kill it off but if you do not correct the cause it will come right back.

Jay

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Jay is sooo right.

I went through it so many times, it wasn't funny.

Until you find, and fix the cause, it won't go away no matter how many water changes you do.

Lissette

AQUA_OBSESSION

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
Should I get a test for phosphates to see if that may be my problem?

I am using R/O water so my water should be stripped of most things initially. I have substrate gold under my gravel and I also put in the liquid form with some other plant fertilizer as well. I am thinking that with too much light is the culprit. I have done a few water changes and have had a few blackout days with no to little feedings for the fish and it is still the same.

What things should I test my water for in order to isolate the problem?

THANKS

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Just another plant

Green water is particularly fond of ammonia. Does your tap water have chloramine? The RO unit will not remove chloramine I think. Do some research, try the discus forums as they use a lot of RO and there is always some info available on search, SimplyDiscus and DAAH.

Meanwhile, just how much light do you have? More than 3wpg is a mistake IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store