Troubles getting Flame Angel to eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

freefall582

Surf Nebraska
Sep 1, 2005
Omaha, Neb
Hey guys,

I have had a 75 gallon set-up for about 8 months now, it has about 60lbs of live rock, no coral (maybe later). I have had a couple blue and gold damsels for a couple months now, and I bought my yellow tang about two weeks ago. I have had no problem with any of those guys, they eat whenever I drop anything into the tank. I recently bought a flame angel and he is a different story. I introduced him into the tank a couple days ago and he has been quite active and social, and seems to have no problems, except for when it comes to feeding time. I can barely get him to pay attention, and when he does he may only take one bit of food, and possible will spit it out. I constantly see him grazing in the tank, picking at rocks and the glass, but there really isnt much macroalgae in the tank to satisfy a fish as a large as him (the tang already took care of most of it). I am using a frozen herbivore mix, and also a bit of dry shrimp brine. I will feed the fish 2-3 times daily, and do my best not to overfeed. Do I need a different kind of food? Or do I need to shove the food in front of him?? Any help is much appreciated!

-Mike

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd try a meaty or angel specific frozen food. I had a bicolor angel, and he grazed all day long, so allowing the back and sides of the tank to accumulate more algae to supplement both the angel and the tang would help as well.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
First, welcome to AC :D
Sounds like he has an appetite, maybe he just wants something different. I'd get a Nori clip (basically a plastic clip with a suction cup) at the LFS and buy some Nori or another dried seaweed. You can find Nori at Asian markets (make sure you get unseasoned), and some LFS sell dried seaweed for feeding angels. Put a small sheet of seaweed in the clip, put the clip in the tank, and once the angel finds it he'll be in heaven. The clip allows them to graze for hours, much more natural than a feeding frenzy of three minutes, once a day. My clip came with a little piece of mesh, designed to hold cubes of food so angels could eat at their leisure. All mine ever wanted was the seaweed :)

freefall582

Surf Nebraska
Sep 1, 2005
Omaha, Neb
thanks for the welcome! I have been lurking on this forum ever since I got my tank and it has helped tremendously, no major problems yet (knock on wood). I may have to try that Nori clip, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the feedback!

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
Angel & Butterfly Diet by San Francisco Bay is a good frozen food. I have two coral beauties and they love this stuff. I highly recommend it.

Don’t worry too much about your angel not eating. This is common with newly introduced wild fish. If the angel is not eating within the week, look for symptoms of internal parasites. These fish when sick can fool you ito believing they are grazing on rock, but really are not ingesting anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store