10 Most Popular Myths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I don't know how many times I argued with someone on whether you use more that 10% of your brain.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
8. Men think about sex every seven seconds

Males are driven to reproduce, evolutionarily speaking, but there is no scientific way of measuring to what extent that desire consumes their everyday lives. Thankfully, for world productivity as a whole, seven seconds seems a gross overstatement, as best researchers can tell.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Does thinking about sex (or anything else) necessarily involve desire? If it does, does that desire have actually "consume" anything (time, energy, whatevah). I'm not saying that men do think about sex every seven seconds but I'm not sure their rationale works.

I know for me, I think about sex every 10 mins. :)

Fun site, thanks for posting the link! :)

Peace...

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
They forgot the one about men having one less rib.
I was surprised how many people trained in the medical field (to some extent -i.e. nurses) actually believe that.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
spartan said:
I'd question #6

I believe that a penny dropped from a tall building could really hurt someone.

In high school a friend tossed a penny at me from the second floor window. It hit me in the back of the neck and it felt like a baseball hit me. Now times that my 50 and it'll hurt a lot.
Ah, yes...but we've also got to account in terminal velocity and wind resistance. Acceleration due to gravity is ~9.8 meters per second. At 5 seconds of free-fall, it would have traveling 50 meters per second, and have dropped a total of approximately 125 meters. However, all objects have resistance due to wind, otherwise the rain that hits us from 1-3 miles (Source ) which is 1.5 to 5 km (approx) would be going at a speed of 171.55 m/s or 383.75 miles/h to 313.21 m/s or 700.63 miles/h. I don't care how small something is, at those speeds even a raindrop would be deadly. That's where we bring the phrase "terminal velocity" into play. At a certain point an object's speed will cease to accelerate due to resistance. The terminal velocity of a "normal" raindrop (2mm) is 6m/s (Source).

The terminal velocity of a penny is between 20 and 45 miles per hour (Source) which calculates out to approximately 9 to 20 meters per second. Enough to give you a good sting, but not enough to kill you. Chances are that penny he threw at you was already at its terminal velocity, and no matter how much further up he threw it, it would not have hit you any harder.

**** you making me research at night.

themadblimper

The one free man.
Dec 10, 2005
Lancaster, PA
They did this on mythbusters, and showed that a penny dropped from the empire state building will not have enough speed or force to kill someone. It might knock someone out though. :eek:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
If the penny didn't flip over and over at random when falling, it might do more harm. Air resistance when the penny is horizontal -------- ah!

.....nevermind...

_____

:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store