Just curious, would you rather have a 30-gallon tank or a 30-gallon breeder tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1HungryGoldfish

AC Members
Feb 15, 2006
..........INCHES..........length.....horizontal depth.....vertical height

30 gallon 36 12 16

30 gallon breeder 36 18 10.7

40 gallon long 48 12 16

I like the depth of the 30-gallon breeder, but it's only about 11 inches high which isn't enough room for plants. I like the height of the regular 30-gallon, but I miss the depth that 18 inches of depth really adds a lot to an aquarium.. I don't really want to go to 40 gallons, because the extra 100 pounds worries me since the tank will be on the second floor upon a non-load bearing wall. Also, I have (will have) my desk next to it. The desk weighs 200 pounds and my fat body also weighs 200 pounds (errr, well, in 2 weeks it will weigh 200 pounds). So I have the tank on my left, and the desk at a right-angle to it, choosing to distrubute the desk and *my* weight over the load-bearing wall joists. (I think I'm getting off topic here).

(load-bearing wall along this direction with the joists
running from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Tank Desk
_____ _________
| | | |
| | |________|
| | me
| |
_____|

anyway, ever thought which is nicer, the regular 30 gallon or the 30 gallon breeder? Or maybe, what is your favorite size tank that isn't too large? I really like the 40 gallon tank, for example, but........well, I'm blabbering. better stop typing now before I bring up politics or something.

1HungryGoldfish

AC Members
Feb 15, 2006
Well obviously that picture didn't work out too well.

***___**********
***___**********
***---....I sit here

stars on the left are the tank, whether it be the 30 breeder or 30 regular.

Horizontal stars are that 200lb thing which holds my papers

The "I sit here* is where you probably believe I will be sitting (you would be right).

Joists run like this: |.....|......|.....|

not that any of this changes the initial question: whidh do you like better?

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Even the 30 breeder should be 12inches high - or is it a custom tank ?

If you go planted i'd always get the deeper (front to back) tank because that way you can create aquascapes with more depth.

I'd go with unca brets idea and consider the 40 breeder.

Last edited:

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
Of the options listed, I like the 30 gallon breeder. Use the dwaft anubias and trim everything else. But then, I'm a loach person and the bigger footprint gives my bottom dwellers more room and the shorter height means its easier to light.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
I have had a lot of success with aponegetons. I buy the bulbs and put them in a damp paper towel in a plastic bag someplace warm. After a few days they should start to sprout, just drop them in. I have two in my 20g high that are doing great. The leaves are about 6-7 inches long and they are constantly sending bloom shoots up to the surface. About the time one shoot dies another takes its place. And my fish eat the remains!

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
BTW, I don't think you should have to worry about the weight issue. Could you use some large screws to attach the stand to the wall studs for extra security?

Another choice would be a 33 long, same footprint as a 55 but 3/5 the height.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
I just purchased a 40 gallon breeder and absolutely LOVE IT! You said you liked the 30 gallon breeder, but it was only 10.5" tall. The 40 gallon breeder is 36x18x16. It's a long tank, and the thing I love most about it is the fact of how wide it is. I won't buy a tank from now on unless it's at least 18" wide. I never knew how nice it was to have a 'big footprint'. It's also almost as tall as my 29 gallon, so plant away!

Hope this helps your decision.

Egress

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
California, USA
I've heard that 'breeder' tanks are often sold cheaper due to having a weaker, non-tempered glass bottom, the idea being they'd be used for bare-bottom breeding tanks with no substrate or decor. It's something to consider, anyways.

1HungryGoldfish

AC Members
Feb 15, 2006
Oh yeah baby!!! I looked at the 40gallon breeder today, and I think the size is perfect. Without a doubt, that is the one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store