Filter selection for bare bottom grow-out tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
I have 2 10 gallon tanks that I am using as fry grow-out tanks. After some problems with some contaminated gravel that came with these free tanks, I have removed the gravel.

My concern is that there is a lot less surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on in a bare tank and am worried that the current filters on these tanks do not have enough media surface area to handle the bioload because growing convict cichlids need a lot of food.

One tank has a Penguin MINI Bio-wheel and the other has an Aqua-Tech which I think is a 20-40. It takes the same size filters as the bigger penguin filters. The Penguin is a filter that I have just had around for a while and the Aqua-tech (Wal-Mart brand penguin without biowheel) came with the tanks. Both of these filters have fully cycled media in them even though the tanks themseves have just been setup.

Also, I would love some tips on how to maintain bare bottom tanks. Right now I am using a little hard tube siphon I made to suck up any debris off of the bottom each day.

I am thinking that I might get a couple Aquaclear 50's and set the flow rates very low to take advantage of the large media basket without having to have the full flow rate of this filter that most would consider over-sized for a little 10 gallon tank. I am so impressed with the large media basket in my AC-110, and I could fill the new filters with cycled Seachem Matrix and Bio-Max tubes from the 110 to ensure that I don't lose my cycle.

Right now, these two tanks are going through a mini-cycle since being set up this weekend, but water testing is showing a good trend toward getting back on track.

Last edited:

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
I used sponge bubble filters in all my fry tanks with great results, too many chances for the fry to be sucked into a power head/HOT.

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
I'm going to back up the sponge filter advocates. Using airstones allows for good circulation, with minimal turbulance. Baby fish cannot get sucked into the filter. The water is highly oxygenated. The cost to maintain is cheaper than any other filter. The sponge filter has tons of surface area for bacteria, but I always double up on sponge filters anyways. Also, they are extremely easy to clean and care for. They need no replacement parts and you just squeeze them out several times in old aquarium water.

Also, if there's ever a disease problem, it's easy to bleach the sponges and start all over. Not to mention that in well established setups there is usually some type of micro-fauna for fry to eat on during the first couple of weeks actually living in the sponge eating small bits of wasted food. It's a win-win!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store