More 125g problems...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
I just don't know what is wrong with our 125g tank.
Everything in the water is testing out to be nearly perfect and it looks cleaner than it ever has since we set it up. The red slime is now totally gone since we added some caulerpa racemosa, it has taken hold of the rocks and is doing fine. We recently added a sand-sifting starfish, a Pacific serpent star and a few different species of snails and they are all doing well (except for the one unfortunate snail that was killed by a powerhead :().

Now for the problem. We have another reef tank that is a 55g. There was one Lamarck angel, one Klein's butterfly and one blue-green chromis in that tank. The Lamarck is been so bossy to the other two fish and never leaves them alone so I asked my husband to transfer them both to the 125g so they could be happier. There is only one percula clownfish in the 125g so I knew they should all get along fine in there. He transferred the fish and they promptly hid for the rest of the night. Next day I noticed the butterfly hovering up in one corner but didn't think much of it since the percula pretty much stays in one spot all the time too. I didn't see the chromis at all but I assumed it was still hiding.
I had to run some errands, my husband got home before me and found the butterfly dead in the tank. It was in the 125g tank less than a full day! The chromis is nowhere in sight either, we're sure he's dead, too.
What on Earth is killing my fish and why hasn't it killed the little percula clown, the starfish or the snails? This is making me so mad! I want to add fish to this tank but all the fish I put in there end up dead except the one lonely little percula.
Now I feel like a fish killer for asking my husband to move those fish...they were doing fine in the other tank. I was just tired of seeing them getting pestered all the time by the angel and I thought I was doing them a favor...so much for good intentions.:(

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
What kind of acclimation process was used to move them? If the fish that were moved died and the ones in the tank arent then its seems the problem might be in the move. It is also makes it worst that they were already stressed from being harrassed in the other tank and the move just put them over the edge. Also, you said nearly perfect on the water. What is that? Clowns are very hardy and can tolerate bad water, but the butterfly isnt. ANY amount of nitrites or ammonias, and even really high nitrates can kill those fish.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
Hi Frosty. When I said nearly perfect I know I should have been more specific. Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrates are all at 0. Our only water chemistry problem has been high silicates, hence the red slime. We've been diligently using the silicate removing media, plus we added the caulerpa and the silicates are on the rapid decline, I need to check it again to see where it's at, but the red slime is totally gone now at least. The tank looks spotless!

However, I did find out what the problem was with the fish dying. Yes they were acclimated for a time before being put in, but it turns out that the salinity in the 125g had shot way up above the normal 30ppm to 35ppm:eek: and I'm sure it was too much of a shock for the two fish to handle it. I wish I had tested everything right before moving the fish just to be sure...I feel so stupid.
The water in the 125g is evaporating much faster now that my husband changed the hood so that more air flows through it to keep it cooler. I should have know that would happen...I guess I just wasn't thinking, my fault. Poor fish.:(
We are now in the process of bringing the salinity back down slowly so no one else gets stressed and dies.

Last edited:

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I've heard if your getting to much red slime algae your lights might be getting old and turning more to the red spectrum. I also hurd you can get this from not enough light as well. You might want to check it out.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
That could be the problem in some cases, but we know ours was caused by the very high silicate level in the water because now that the silicate is down the red slime is completely gone. It's been clean for at least a month now and there's no sign of it returning.
For lighting on the 125G we have 2 metal halides (175 watt & 250 watt - 10,000K bulbs) and two 40 watt 48" NO fluorescents with 6500K bulbs.
Thanks for the information though, I'll keep that in mind if it returns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store