Small small green and black tentacles on live rock...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gadfly

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Portland, Oregon, USA
Visit site
Just thought I would see if anyone has any clue what I might be looking at. After I put some live rock into a small (25 gallon) tank there appeared on one of them a feather duster and this odd little fellow who has between 5-8 thin tentacles. (light greenish tentacles with intermittent black stripes.)

Its source (base) is hidden inside of the live rock. The thin spaghetti-like tentacles undulate frequently, stretching over the live rock.

It's pretty nifty looking - but small - and could be overlooked in a large reef tank (at least at it's present stage).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Sounds like a tiny starfish. I have several similar to your description. I've never seen mine come out of the rock, even at night. They just wave their tentacles around in the current.

gadfly

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Portland, Oregon, USA
Visit site
Thanks for your response. You might be right. If it is a starfish - the tentacles appear very lengthy. After your suggestion I went and found this.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/echinodermata/ophiuroidea.html

....Ophiuroids are a large group (over 1600 species) of echinoderms that includes the brittle stars (Ophiurida) and basket stars (Euryalida). The more familiar Ophiurida, or brittle stars, usually have five arms and superficially resemble true starfish (Asteroidea). However, brittle stars have long, flexible arms (hence the other common name for ophiuroids, "snake stars" and a central, armored, disk-shaped body that is clearly demarcated from the arms. Instead of crawling on hundreds of tube feet like starfish, brittle stars move fairly rapidly by wriggling their arms. These agile arms are supported by an internal skeleton of calcium carbonate plates that superficially look like vertebrae, and that are in fact called vertebral ossicles. These are moved by a system of muscles and linked together by ball-and-socket joints. The body and arms are also protected by calcium carbonate plates, and the arms generally bear delicate spines...

It is amazing to consider that there are 1600 (+) known species out there. How many people have what I have versus what you have in your tank!

So is a starfish the only thing that might hide itself inside of the live rock and have this tentacle-esque things flittering about?

Cheers.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's not the only thing, but it really is the most likely culprit. Stars tend to hang out in protected areas. You'll often find them hiuding in large thorny/branchy corals, or within the spines of urchins. Very few of these attain a large size, IME.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
I agree that you probably have a starfish. We just added a rather large Pacific serpent star to our tank and it quickly has made it's home inside of a rock cave. Now all we see of it are the long tentacles hanging out catching food particles. The disc of our serpent is slightly more than 1 inch in diameter, his arms are very long, about 5-6 inches in length, so in all he's about a foot across! He can sense the minute I put a frozen food cube in the water, those arms just go crazy grabbing at food bits...but he stays safely hidden. :)

gadfly

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Portland, Oregon, USA
Visit site
Ok. Another question related to the same fellow. A small blue-legged hermit crab who recently discarded his old small shell for a shiny new puka shell sauntered over to our recently confirmed starfish-- and I'm not certain...but he was either munching near the starfish or...!

So my question is - could a reef grazer such as this blue legged crab supplement his diet on occasion with starfish?

Cheers.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
I agree with Pisces. Hermits will make a snack out of most anything they can, but if it were bothering the star, it would have quickly retreated into the rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store