How many otos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Well, after reading up on these guys and hearing all of the good things about them I got 5 over the weekend for my 125 gallon tank. They seem to be doing well - hiding about half of the time and hanging on the walls or driftwood the rest. They seem to have cleaned off one side of the tank (there was a small patch of algae at the top). My question is this: how many would be a good number in this size tank? I don't have much algae in general but there is the occasional patch on the glass or rocks. I am also supplementing their diet with Omega-1 veggie rounds and will start using some blanched veges this week. Thanks!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I have heard 1 oto recommended for every ten gallons, so for you that works out to be 11-13 otos. But it's really a personal preference. It all depends on how much algae you want removed, and how much extra food you're willing to supplement.

I will tell you that when I moved my last remaining oto from a 10 gal to a 29 gal, and experienced the diatom explosion common in new tanks, he was not able to eat all the algae. I could see the tracks he had eaten in the brown stuff, but he wasn't able to make an appreciable dent in it. At least he wasn't going hungry, though! I added 3 more, and there has not been a speck of algae since. Now I'm scrambling to feed them enough to prevent them from starving.

Good for you for getting the Omega One Veggie Rounds and planning on feeding them fresh veggies :)

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
blkwdw13 said:
they are little poop monsters.
that's cute :) Mine go nuts for the Omega One Veggie Rounds, so much so that I'm concerned their stomachs might explode. I mean they're really gorged. You're right, they do poop a LOT. And quickly, too. The morning after I feed them, I can see little brown strings all of crap all over the bottom. I usually end up doing a water change the day after an Oto feeding. I give them supplementary foods about three times a week.

BTW, blkwdw, I like your new avatar. It's very fitting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store