"Instant" Tank with Organics?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stone_shot

Old School Waterman
Sep 28, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Hi All--
I'm in the middle of trying to do my homework before I set up a marine tank and I'd like to get your views on something. I've been told that it's possible to cycle your tank and add fish immediately by using organic additives(I'm assumign that these are bacterial cultures??), and that this method all but eliminates water changes. Sounds too good to be true but I have a friend who uses this method, and apart from a weekly dose of the "miracle juice", there is little maintenance and his tanks are crystal clear and the fish look healthy. What's the general consensus??
Thanks!
ss
:dive2:

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! You will find wealths of info here. Generally if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Most all marine tanks take around 4-6 weeks to cycle and there really is no way around that. The freshwater additives (such as cycle) don't work on saltwater and the best method is throwing prawns in the tank and letting them rot. You will get the best cycle and have a more stable tank in the long run. Anyway hope this helps and welcome to Aquaria Central!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
was there ever a concensus reached on Marine formula BioSpira? I thought it was weird that it contained the exact same species as the FW formula (Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira, Nitrosospira).

What's funny is the "bacteria in a bottle" are usually Nitrobacter and Nitrosomas which I've been telling folks in FW that those only work in marine systems, and die quickly in FW.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
As close to instant as you can get is by useing curred l.r. and even then it takes a few weeks.

stone_shot

Old School Waterman
Sep 28, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Organics

The stuff I was referring to is made by Organic Aqua. It does sound too good to be true, but my friend's tanks are a testimonial to how effective it is. Hardly ever has to do water changes, can keep a heavier than normal load of fish and the tank stays crystal clear with no ammonia/nitrite/nitrate problems. I believe the magic goo drives the nitrogen cycle a bit further, converting nitrite to nitrogen gas which diffuses off into the air.

I had read of the rotting prawn method before--how's the smell while your friendly bugs are growing with that method?

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
As far as I know, the bacteria that converts Nitrate to nitrogenous gas are anaerobic and that's what you get with LR and DSB

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store