internal parasites?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SIMOSPASM

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
hello all, i am new here and this is my first post. i have kind of a weird dillema with my fish, and it's kind of long but if any of you have the time i'd appreciate if you can give me some sort of insight on this problem of mine, but let me tell you the basic point of it: i am basically just wondering if my fish have internal parasites or not.

around august, i bought some african cichlids, all of them peacocks. being as irresponsible as i am, i did not quarantine them and i just put them in my tank (i figured it'd be fine). one of them died within 2 days. everything remained fine for a while, and then i got 3 more africans. i noticed within a few days that one of them had a sunken belly. then a few days later it looked like my original peacock that i bought started looking skinny. i would wait around in my basement for a long time after feeding them 3 times daily to see if they would poop, but none of them ever would, but occasionally i did see stringy looking feces floating in the water.

i then treated my entire tank with a metronidazole bath, using a product called metro+ and i made medicated food with it. i treated the tank for a week and fed medicated food for 2 weeks. after the first week, i began thinking about something: most of the time, my clown loaches will chase my cichlids away from the food and take all the food themselves practically, so my cichlids could not get as much food as the clowns no matter what.

i then decided to quarantine every fish i suspected had a problem, and then i took them to my work. i continued to feed the medicated food to them for one more week (making it 3 weeks total that i was feeding it to them). after that week, i noticed my red-tailed shark had some really stringy poo, so i decided to take the shark up there and QT him too. once quarantined, i just fed him regular food to see what happens. 3 days later (yesterday) he was quite a bit fatter. in 3 days he gained all that weight with no medicated food, and in the meantime all of my cichlids are fat again as well.

i ended up getting a UV sterilizer for this tank and it's been in there for about a week and a half now, and i was assuming everything is fine until last night, when i saw some stringy poo floating around in my fish tank again, and i've seen more stringy poo today.

so here's the whole dillema: all my fish seem fine, all the quarantined fish seemed to have gained their weight back rather rapidly, and all i wonder is: did i even have internal parasites in the first place? should i really to worry about if it just seems like maybe my fish just aren't getting enough to eat due to my loaches chasing all of my fish away from the food? am i just being a "fish hypochondriac"?

as for their diet, i feed a variety of food to all of my fish, including cichlid pellets, flake food, blood worms, algae waefers, tubifex worms, shrimp pellets. the medicated food i made was mainly cichlid pellets with some algae wafers and blood worms in the mix.

the reason i ask this is just because i have not really had any fish die besides one of my africans but nothing even seemed to be wrong with it. this has been a long time i have been dealing with this problem (if i even have a problem) but the only thing i realize is that none of my fish have died from any internal parasite symptoms, so do i really have a problem?

i figured if the problem is internal parasites, then it sure seems like they are a pain to get rid of, and i was sort of thinking it'd be nice if you guys had a good in-depth article of the proper steps to deal with them (especially if you have planted aquarium because i fear the problem may have lingered to my other tank). everywhere says i should use metronidazole, but honestly i don't think it really worked for me, unless i was doing it wrong.

if any of you have time to actually read all this i highly appreciate it

phreakkn0t

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Johnstown, PA
I used IP medication on my dwarf puffers. I used Gel Tek Ultra Cure PX and soaked the food in it before feeding them. That worked well for me. Ive never had cichlids so I dont know if that would work for you or not.

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
The only way to determine internal parasites is with fecal samples. If the community is large enough vets specializing in fish treatment suggest post treatment examination of gut samples of a "sacrificed" specimen to assure that the problem is eradicated.

Stringy poop can be nothing more than a function of diet. Check for redness around anus, or protruding worms. These two symptoms are a more reliable indicator.

With nematodes Levamisole hydrochloride is a suggested treatment for the problem.

From Roy Yanong DVM, University of Florida:
the dosage rate for levamisole in a bath is
2 mg/L (2 ppm) for 24 hours (followed by 70-100% water change, and
siphon the bottoms of the tanks), with repeat treatments
necessary--retreat in 2-3 weeks, and probably one more time after that.
This is regardless of size of fish.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Sully said:
The only way to determine internal parasites is with fecal samples. If the community is large enough vets specializing in fish treatment suggest post treatment examination of gut samples of a "sacrificed" specimen to assure that the problem is eradicated.

Stringy poop can be nothing more than a function of diet. Check for redness around anus, or protruding worms. These two symptoms are a more reliable indicator.

With nematodes Levamisole hydrochloride is a suggested treatment for the problem.

From Roy Yanong DVM, University of Florida:
the dosage rate for levamisole in a bath is
2 mg/L (2 ppm) for 24 hours (followed by 70-100% water change, and
siphon the bottoms of the tanks), with repeat treatments
necessary--retreat in 2-3 weeks, and probably one more time after that.
This is regardless of size of fish.

good call. nematodes are sometimes considered benficial but we have to remember this group also conatins some nasty critters.

commonly seen are capillaria and camillanus worms. camillanus is visible and can sometimes be seen protruding out of the anus. usually seen as red worms(blood makes them red)
capillaria are detectable with a microscope.
over time some of these parasites have shown resistance to some of the meds. metro and prazi. levamisole HCL (aka levasole)is a pig/sheep wormer that is most effective if taken interanlly but will also work as a bath(HCL is the water soluable levamisole).

I have used levamisole successfully. it doesn't take much.

keep in mind that with worming meds there is not one med that is effective on all worms. so you may need to try a cocktail (metro,prazi,levamisole) btw jungle anit parasite med did at one time contain all three of these.

SIMOSPASM

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
well i have studied my fish quite a bit and have seen no worms coming out of the anus, or redness or blood in the anal area, or any worms in the tank for that matter.

the only thing i've seen is stringy poo (it litterally looks like a tiny thread with pieces of fecal matter attached to various parts of it) floating around in my tank. i figured i had a balanced enough diet to not really have any dietary problems but i haven't completely ruled it out yet

recently i've just decided to stop medicating all together, and i guess i'll just see what happens from there. like i said, nothing has really died from it that i know it, but i see stringy poo all the time. so i'm not really sure if i even have a problem or not :huh:

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
There is another illness that no one has touched on, that you may want to watch for. It is a protazoan florish that leads to wasting sickness. It can happen when fish eat but loose weight and they can have white stringy poo as well. If your fish had this, then you can help them from succumbing by making sure to keep foods moving through their digestive tracts and keeping the water clean. There is only one medicine that will treat it once they are far gone, and it is harder to get a hold of. Vets sometimes have it and you can find it at inkmkr.com/fish, scroll down, and there is a discussion of its uses.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
white stringy poo is only one Sx of parasite infestation. often the fish stops eating as the parasite irritates the digestive tract.

other Sx ..hiding, darkening etc.

you can also have similar Sx from bacterial infections.

as a precaution I usually treat new fish with parasite meds just to be safe. the meds usually don't cause any real terrible stress.

some folks treat new fish with antibiotic too.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store