10 Gallon Reef Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yellow tang

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
I have kept saltwater fish for a while, but would like to try my hand at a reef. I was thinking a small setup like a ten gallon. With a little live rock, some easy beginner corals, and a pair of clownfish, and some snails and crabs. I want to start out small to get the hang of it. Then maybe turn my larger tanks into reefs. For filtration I was thinking about letting the live rock take care of some of it, and also a 3 stage bio wheel filter. I didn't think I would need a skimmer for that size of tank. I will do four gallon water changes every week. Is that to often? Also for the lights, what kind of light should I use since it is not very large or deep? What type of light will I need for soft corals? How much will the light cost? Also I will add some powerheads to circulate the water. Will this be okay?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Don't use the bio wheel part of the filter and run it empty to avoid nitrate issues! You'll want your tank water to turn over at least 15 times per hour and make sure that your currents are non-linear. In other words have multiple power heads or point your out flow at the glass or the bottom of the tank.

You might not have to do that many water changes if you lightly stock and have from 10-15 lbs of live rock you probably won't need to do water changes like that either. The bacteria will take care of most of your nitrates. As to your lighting it depends on what sort of softies you are planning on keeping. The brighter the light the more choices you'll have so tell us what you're interested in.
hth
Max

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Here's what I'm doing for my 10 gallon nano-reef:

10 lbs. nano LR from
2 lbs. live rock rubble (both from premium aquatics)
2 20-watt Coralife Power Compact Fluerescents
One of those cheap PetSmart filters
Powerhead(s) (haven't got these yet)

The lights, with shipping, came out around $30 from www.thatpetplace.com. With the 2 20s, you would be able to get softies and LPS. (No SPS, clams, or anenomes)

avking

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Here is what I have started
been running for 5 weeks with lr, ls, 5 hermits, and a yellow tail damsel
10gal
20 lbs of Live Fiji pink sand
15lbs of Fiji Live Rock
50w heater
Aquaclear 50gal HOB / which is going to be converted to a fuge this weekend
96 watt power compacts
going to add: pistol shrimp, watchman goby, SPS coral frags, shrooms

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20

ewurm

LOACH HORDE!
Oct 29, 2006
MN
I am going to try my hand too, interested to see the future posts!

avking

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Anybody have pics of their 10gal nano. I will post a few soon. Added a sps frag and and zoos today. I will probably add green polyps and shrooms next week.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Max said:
Don't use the bio wheel part of the filter and run it empty to avoid nitrate issues! You'll want your tank water to turn over at least 15 times per hour and make sure that your currents are non-linear. In other words have multiple power heads or point your out flow at the glass or the bottom of the tank.
i have to disagree with you here max. You are only going to have nitrate issues if you would otherwise have amonia issues and yoru tank isnt mature enough to handle the nitrate levels. and in any tank, especialy if it is mature, is usualy more of an issue of proper maitinence or the addition of too much nutrients into the water.
as far as the water change question, i agree that you wont have to do that many gallons. but i would definatly recomend them every week or at least every other week. 1-2 gallons should work okay on a 10 gallon which is lightly stocked softie tank. however, if you were doing more sensitive corals like sps or even lps, i would seriously recomend a skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store