Newbie with a 10g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Well, three platies can turn into 30 pretty quickly, so having them in the tank means not having much else, honestly.

If you were doing an albino-cory only tank, I would say 4 or 5 would be okay. However, when you start adding fish other than these, you take away from how many cories you can safely keep.

That being said, be aware that cories are schooling fish and like to be kept in groups of at least 3. So, to remedy the problem of multiplying platies (without having to cull young, which is sad at best), I would suggest finding a fish that doesn't bear live young at all, such as a small tetra species or a pair of dwarf gouramis.

I'm sure a dojo would be fine, but I've never had one, so someone else will have to chime in on that.

Make sure you read up on the cycling process before you add anything to your tank. Water quality is essential to being able to keep a healthy, thriving fishy community.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Nope on the dojo! Dojos (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) can get to be 8", should be kept in cooler water, and like to be kept in groups. I would recommend a 35 minimum (as would AC) for a group of Dojos, and definitely something bigger than a 10 for a singleton.

Iced Galaxy

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
dun worry about the platies cuz they are all female.
i am keeping the dojo cuz when he grow bigger i can transfer it to a pond.

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
Corys do get bigger though. I have 4 in a 75 gal. and when I bought them they were about 1/2" and now almost a year later they're about 2-2 1/2". Don't get too alarmed if you see white spots on your glass. It's probably the cory laying eggs. I've harvested a bunch of them in the past and have made a good profit raising the young and selling them to the LFS.

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Any cory in my opinion is the best species of fish ever.

-Great at cycling
-Fun to watch eat food as the scavenge
-Very peaceful
-Many can be added to a tank as bottom dwellers
-They make use of caves
-They never die!
-Plus they reproduce easily which means more fishies!

Sorry but I just had to input my opinion on this one
:D

Hunter2001

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Strathmore, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
I believe you should add two albino cory's. Like mentioned earlier they are happier if they have at least one companion. I have three albino's in my 29G and there is more than enough room for them, so having a couple in a 10G would be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store