Should I get a Eheim Classic Canister filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
Ok, I have a 55 with a JD, 2 Featherfins, and 2 raphaels. Non planted. 80 watts of light. Slate, river rocks, sand.

I have an Emperor 400 and an AC 30 on it for filtration.

I have stumbled across a Eheim classic 2215 canister filter for $50-media, spray nozzle, hoses all included. I know that there is no such thing as too much filtration, however, considering the expense is this actually worth getting for the benefit it will provide??

Also, do eheim classics polish water like the newer ones do? This would be the main reason I would like to get one.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
No such thing as too much filteration and definitly go for it. The Eheim classics are very reliable and work great. I have a 2213, 2x 2217 and a 2260. Love them all.

Yoemen said:
Ok, I have a 55 with a JD, 2 Featherfins, and 2 raphaels. Non planted. 80 watts of light. Slate, river rocks, sand.

I have an Emperor 400 and an AC 30 on it for filtration.

I have stumbled across a Eheim classic 2215 canister filter for $50-media, spray nozzle, hoses all included. I know that there is no such thing as too much filtration, however, considering the expense is this actually worth getting for the benefit it will provide??

Also, do eheim classics polish water like the newer ones do? This would be the main reason I would like to get one.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
...also I dont know of anything you can add for it to polish the water. I guess if you were to add lots of filter floss, you can get it to filter out fairly small paricles but it wont be 100% crystal clear like a true water polisher.

IMO the eheim is much better suited to do the bio load. That 2215 will easily outperform the emperor 400 and the AC filter you have combined x 2..

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
I had thought that canister filters were good at polishing water.

garbon2535

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
I have two Eheim 2218's on my 55 gallon tank. Go for the Eheim! You won't be sorry. You can remove one of your filters. I would take off whichever is louder. The Eheim will be so quiet you'll want a second.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
well to be honest, neither of my HOBs make any noise. The AC is disgusting to clean sometimes but that is life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store