Eheim 2126 fire hazard? get a Fluval?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

motifone@comcas

Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all,

I'm going to post this in a couple of forums, see what reactions I get. I've spent a couple weeks researching canister filters and felt the Eheim, although pricey, were a cream of the crop filter. I decided on the new Eheim Pro 2126 with a built in heater. This would be for my new 50g tank.

I went to the LFS and ordered the tank and told him I was getting an Eheim. He kind of winced, and he made a few points:

1) Eheim's flow rate is weaker than advertised (this I knew)
2) Eheim's replacement parts are hard to get and expensive (Which I kind of knew)
3) Filter with heaters built in have been "illegal" he said in California (wich is where I live) for a while. He said if an air bubble gets trapped in the filter, the heater inside could cause melting. The fire department dislikes them. This is why he said you can only find this filter with heater online and not in LFS stores, at least in California.

He instead suggested a Fluval 304 or 404 because:
1) You'll save a little money.
2) Better flow rates.
3) And, while I'm at it, avoid something with a built in heater.

Now, granted, his LFS only sells Fluvals, so it's possible he'd rather push a Fluval. But he did make a good point about replacement parts.

I bought the Eheim (2126) for it's reputation and the built in heater was nice bonus because it's one less thing cluttering the tank. But, when my Eheim arrives in the mail, I'm not sure if I should return it and get the Fluval.

What would YOU do? Thoughts?

Cheers.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
you dont want a filstar? if i had the money i would get an eheim otherwise will probably get a filstar. ive seen heated filters at the petsmarts around here.

oh yea flow rates arent everything. eheims ive seen are built really well and circulate the water through all the media very efficiently, they also hold a ton of media, i guess thats why they are rated higher than other filters even though their flowrates arent that high.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Sounds like a self-serving line by your LFS dealer to me. Have you checked this for yourself by real sources, not the forums? That is, with the state of California, with Eheim, with the various consumer agencies?

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
motifone@comcas said:
Hi all,

2) Eheim's replacement parts are hard to get and expensive (Which I kind of knew)
3) Filter with heaters built in have been "illegal" he said in California (wich is where I live) for a while. He said if an air bubble gets trapped in the filter, the heater inside could cause melting. The fire department dislikes them. This is why he said you can only find this filter with heater online and not in LFS stores, at least in California.

He instead suggested a Fluval 304 or 404 because:
1) You'll save a little money.
2) Better flow rates.
3) And, while I'm at it, avoid something with a built in heater.

Cheers.

Let's look at these claims critically:

Is this not true for just about every filter made? They all rate higher, probably by measuring flow without media in the filter.

Most fish-related stuff can be ordered online and it's relatively easy to find Eheim parts at big online vendors. I suspect the online vs. LFS price on just about anything will tip in favor of the online vendor. An Eheim impeller purchased from That Pet Place will cost the same or less than a Fluval impeller bought at the LFS.

This at least sounds possible, if not plausible. I'm trying to think about how many times my Eheims have stopped running because air was trapped in them... I don't think it's happened, but I suppose it's possible. Is the heating element in a filter hot enough to start a fire while it's submersed in water, even in hot water? If the plastic melted in the canister, wouldn't the heater short out and blow the circuit breaker or fuse?

I don't think I've ever heard of an Eheim with a heater causing a fire. I suspect someone is trying a pseudo-logical appeal to make Fluvals sound superior (not an easy task, I suppose).

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much. I think you've got a fine filter. I would, however, take everything the LFS guy says with a grain of salt from this point on...

Jim

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
My LFS (Big Al's) has a couple guys who really seem to know their stuff; when I went in looking for a Fluval canister I asked one of the guys for his opinion. He told me they no longer sell Fluvals (because they're not as good as the others), and showed me a FilStar. He said Eheims are the best and would be his first choice (he had nothing bad to say about them at all), but the FilStars are a very good alternative and far superior to Fluval canisters.

motifone@comcas

Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Haha

These have been some interesting replies (along with the other remarks folks posted to my question on other forums). The overhelming reaction:

1) Stick with the Eheim (or a Filstar)
2) Don't worry about the heater.
3) The LFS probably just wants to sell me a Fluval.

To be safe, when I go CO2, I will not use the filter to disperse bubbles, etc. No reason to take a chance and inject air into the filter.

But I will stick with the Eheim.

thanks
steve

fluvals are good for me ..

I have 2 fluval 303 and just got a fluval 404
Mine are stonecold quite and the flow rate on the 404 is like a garden hose
i dont like the way they want to stick the output and input to the tank so i just use some other suckers instead and stick them to the tank... IM pleased to say the least...

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Well, as long as we're making testimonials...
My FilStar ROCKS!! It was easy to put together, the intake/outflow positions are versitile, the media baskets are HUGE, it's so quiet I have to check that it's running, the flow rate is great, maintenance is rediculously easy and (this isn't a big deal, but it is positioned between the pillars of my stand and very visible) it's nice looking ;)

HomerJay

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I have a Filstar XP2, and XP3. They are both great filters so far. Easy to clean, and restart. Little, to no, water to clean up when detaching and reattaching hoses during cleaning. Very quiet also. Setup in 30 min. or less. Very, very happy with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store