Fishless Ammonia Cycle-how long did it take your tank to cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itzyaboyrd

AC Members
Oct 20, 2008
Fishjones.. How big is your tank? You said it took 15 drops to get to 5ppm. I'm currently cycling a 100gl and going threw the same problem... Great post and great responses guys. This thread is helping me understand the cycling process...

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
took me about 6 weeks to get mine cycled

Temeraire

Betta Owner
Jan 6, 2009
I'm at day 19 but still don't have any ammonia eating bacteria. Of course, I'm cycling with fish food so I needed to wait for ammonia producing bacteria to show up, and I haven't been disappointed in that regard. :)

Temeraire

Betta Owner
Jan 6, 2009
Whenever it gets too far past 4.9 I do a water change to get it down. I did a 40-50% water change and I guesstimate (the gaps on the test are kinda large) the ammonia level to already be back to 3.5ish now. I think it was 6 before the change and 3 after.

Temeraire

Betta Owner
Jan 6, 2009
Yeah, I did look for it though and I didn't see it, though it's very possible I missed it. The bright side though is that I've got the decomposing bacteria present, just unfortunate they don't completely eat through the fish food. Once they get the nutrients they want they abandon it and need fresh food. I know this because my ammonia level stops going up if I don't feed the tank for 24 hours.

I also seem to get a (cloudier) bacterial bloom about 30 minutes after adding food.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I tossed in a capful of ammonia into a 20 gallon tank, turned on the filter and let it run for 3 weeks. I never checked it or touched it during that time. At the end of 3 weeks I needed the tank for an emergency and it was 0 ammonia and 40nitrate. did a 50% WC and used it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store