Fishless Ammonia Cycle-how long did it take your tank to cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
This doesn't help much, but I'll contradict that by saying no. (Sorry.)

Raise the ammonia level to 5 ppm as you have. And watch it. If it's stays the same, it's already present - you don't need to add more yet. If there aren't enough bacteria living there to process 5 ppm.. there's no point adding more on a daily basis to raise it higher. So you'll add a little less. Or add some every other day.. whatever. The goal is to maintain at least 5 ppm continually.. not keep increasing it to a higher reading. Just don't let it fall below 5 ppm.

After 10 days or so.. or two weeks, watch for the ammonia to spike and then start dropping as the nitrites begin to register. Now, you can add a steady amount every day. At this point, you're feeding the ammonia-feeding bacteria already colonized. If you stop there, they'll starve and die back, thus killing your cycle.

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
:iagree: You want to maintain 5ppm. If you have no nitrites chances are you were still at 5ppm on night 2 when you added more ammonia. You shouldn't have to dose ammonia again until the ammonia begins being converted into nitrites. When did you test last for ammonia and what is the level?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
But I said to keep it at 5 ppm...how was your post contradictory?
Oh darn. Sorry jpappy... I read your answer differently.

FishJones asked, "...should I keep putting the same ammonia amount in?"
You said, yes.. keep dosing the 5 ppm. I thought you meant for him to keep adding that amount of ammonia on a daily basis, regardless.

So I said, no.. don't need to add more every day if it's still at that level.
The way I read this, I thought my advice was contradicting yours.

FishJones

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Thanks guys, I appreciate that. I won't add the ammonia until it gets below 5 ppm. Just checked it-instant dark green on the API test kit. I just don't want to kill the bacteria off the filter I got today. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Would you guys recommend doing a water change to bring down the ammonia? I just hope that 6 days of adding ammonia doesn't kill the bacteria off. This is part of the article (http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html) about adding the same amount daily until Nitrite spike:

"With that in mind, I'd like to propose a different recipe. Add ammonia to the tank initially to obtain a reading on your ammonia kit of ~5 ppm. Record the amount of ammonia that this took, then add that amount daily until the nitrite spikes. Once the nitrite is visible, cut back the daily dose of ammonia to ½ the original volume. "

And this one from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycling.php

2nd method. This one is used by probably 99% of hobbyists. Addition of X amount of NH3 drops until Ammonia level of 5ppm is achieved. This X amount of drops has to be added daily until NO2 spike. Afterwards follow up with ½ X (from previous step) amount of NH3 drops daily until NO2 is 0ppm causing NO3 peak. ~50% water change should follow -> cycled tank. (this recipe uses regular Pure Ammonia 4-15%)

So it's confusing which way to do it!

Last edited:

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
You should be maintaining your ammonia levels at 3 to 5ppm. If you test and it is below 5ppm you should add ammonia to get you back to 5ppm. If you test and the ammonia is at 5ppm there is no need to add ammonia.

Yes...do water changes until you get your current ammonia levels back on the charts and at 5ppm.

You should also cut back the ammonia levels to 3ppm once you start to see ammonia reduce and nitrites start to show up. Once the nitrites start to show up then you should test for and dose ammonia daily as required to keep the levels at around 3ppm.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
You should be maintaining your ammonia levels at 3 to 5ppm. If you test and it is below 5ppm you should add ammonia to get you back to 5ppm. If you test and the ammonia is at 5ppm there is no need to add ammonia.

Yes...do water changes until you get your current ammonia levels back on the charts and at 5ppm.

You should also cut back the ammonia levels to 3ppm once you start to see ammonia reduce and nitrites start to show up. Once the nitrites start to show up then you should test for and dose ammonia daily as required to keep the levels at around 3ppm.
^^ Exactly. Great way to explain it.

FishJones

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Thanks guys, appreciate it!!! Nah jpappy, you're fine, it was just confusing with all those articles which say to keep adding it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store