Finally...Altums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks Jpap..
it had been very tough.. I was surprised the Altums did so well in the care of my Oldest Grand daughter.. she did good..

I am back to changing water on a regular schedule... albeit I did so slowly after I arrived home... but every other day for now with close monitoring..
I fear the tough days may still be ahead of me.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Great job so far. You are rapidly approaching the over the hump time for the initial period. Once you get to about 4 weeks or so the biggest threats have been passed. While a lot has been written/said about treating the fish as soon as they arrive, I am in the camp of waiting to see some indication of problems before treating. And if I have to treat anything proactively for imported wild low pH fish, then it would be for parasites and/or worms rather than bacteria. My expreience with the 8 I have had for a while now was that once they can be gotten over the initial stages, they are just like any other angels. They are all pigs who beg for food whenever they see you.

From all I have read and discussed regarding establishing cycling bacteria that can survive acid pH conditions, there are basically two choices. One is to do it yourself which can take several months to get an acid tolerant colony established from those few survivors started at a higher pH (according to Dr Timothy Hovanec). The other way is to get seeding bacteria from already established low pH colonies. I had those lined uo originally but when I learned that H.A.W. was keeping them in the over 6.0 pH range, I reverted to the former method as the drop from my 7.1 tap to the 6.4 it is now at was not drastic.

I am getting ready to call H.A.W. and place my order today. I sure I hope I can do as well with mine as you have done with yours so far. Please keep posting here as things develop.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
TwoTank
thanks for the words of encouragement and the great advice.

I too am of the school of wait to treat especially when it comes to possible bacteria issue . I personally don't like pretreating possible bacterial infections. I will definitely look into possible treating for internal parasites however.

Check with HAW they will give you specifics on the pH..I was working with Vincent who was very helpful.
but sounds like you have a great plan and should be fine

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Vincent today, and you are right, he seems be a pretty good guy. He said the fish were in 6.4 pH and about 80 ppm. I will just need to raise my TDS a bit as I have the tank at 30ppm.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
TTA, Vincent was a great ..I think also was part of my (so far) success.
I wish you the best with your Altums
Rach.. I love the look of black water and will most likely continue with black water set up.. I am looking at going to LED moonlights as the main source for lighting in my future Blackwater tank.

so far not much luck finding the tank (craigslist)i would like to set up for my Altums...but I am hopeful that in the next week I will get lucky.. test of pH last night was just above 6.0

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Lost one on Saturday.. didn't expect that as they all seemed pretty active Friday evening.

as a precaution tho I have started a course of Furan 2 and will follow up with internal parasite meds

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Don't be discouraged. I lost my entire 1st six inside 30 days. I lost one from the bunch I have now and they can to me after somebody else did most of the hard part of the first few months. I upped my current order from 12 to 18 to cover expected losses :(

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the Furan 2 seems to have helped.. I am on the second course. today is the final dose. tomorrow will be a large water change.. which even tho stresses the Altums.. they tend to be much more vibrant within a few hours.

I suspect I shall be doing 10-20 % daily water changes .
after some recovery time I will most likely take precautionary steps and treat for internal parasites.
TTA,, thanks for the words of encouragement...I am determined to give this my best shot. I am still looking for a large tank as a final home for the Altums

to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store