Soo's 1st reef 90G build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

soo88

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Hello fellow hobbyist's!

My name's Jason and i'm 28 years old... from Toronto, Ontario. As you can see from my join date, i've been in the hobby for years (my mum got me into fw planted tanks when I was a little one). I used to have this 90G as a FOWLR about ~6 years ago, but made a very very bad house move... and killed half my livestock :( I decided then that I would not get back into the hobby until I was a little more established.

Well, I just purchased my first house and the projects have been on the go! I setup the 90G in December, and it's still in limbo... i'm really taking my time with this one and keep changing my mind on pretty major stuff. Since I knew this build would take such a long time I setup a 40G fw discus tank in my kitchen/dining room to keep the "buying livestock" bug at bay.

I originally started the 90G as a FISH ONLY! Now I know we always say fish only hobbyists will eventually start reefing with an easy coral here and there in the tank... but my reef addiction started before I even bought any livvestock for the fish only!!! hahaha. Actually thankful I don't have to deal with any livestock at the moment.

I made a HUGE mistake though, bought an Eheim Pro II 2028 canister filter and Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for the tank. They cost quite a bit of money and of course kicking myself (it was a huge expense since just recently acquiring the house and realizing how nasty bills can be). Luckily, I still have some old equipment from my old setup... I was using a DYI sump, at the time it was in my basement and the constant gurgling didn't really bug me. Now the tank being in my main room, I would not be able to deal with the sound.

Ok, so onto my equipment.

Eheim Pro II 2028
CoraLife Super Skimmer 125
2 Maxijet 900's
1 Maxijet 1200

~100lbs of liverock
80lbs aragonite

Ebo Jager 250w

5 stage RO unit

4x54w T5 HO Nova Extreme

Doubles as drinking water :)

The tank 2 weeks ago.

Since my original plans were to have a fish only with very hardy fish, I used the same substrate I had from yearrrrrrs ago... that being crushed coral. After many nights of research on many forums (this one included of course) I decided to change it all to Aragonite Seafloor Special. So that was done this weekend with the help of my younger brother.

Anyhow, sorry if my first post was a little long... i'm just excited about my tank getting up and running, but still doesn't look like it'll happen for at least another 2 weeks! Please check back for updates!

-jay.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Nice set up. What are you planning on stocking it with?
Robbie

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
looking good! I'd get a couple gulfstream mods for the maxijet 900's and keep the 1200 as a spare you'll get some crazy sporadic flow with them, awesome for corals!Ive heard great things about the coralife skimmers too.Keep the progress posts coming.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very nice.. Also looks like you got your hands on some cool pieces of LR right out of the gate. I agree with modding the MJ's. There are several out there and if you do plan on going reef you are going to want the flow.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Definitely looking nice so far :)

Any ideas of what you'd like to stock it with?

soo88

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies everyone! :)

looks like you are off to a great re-start! you'll be glad you ditched that CC now rather than later! have you thought about selling the canister filter, im sure you could find something else to spend that money on :)
Yah, I decided it'd be easier to change the CC now since there isn't any livestock. I'm a big fan of little inverts/sand sifters such as pistol shrimp, blenny's etc... that alone made my decision on the change, but of course CC acting as a nitrate factory was a contributing factor to the change as well.

I'm still pondering setting up the sump, but was hoping to try out the canister for awhile to see what the outcome would be. I'm just getting anxious and want to start stocking. Thoughts?! Would the canister AND sump be overkill?

Nice set up. What are you planning on stocking it with?
Robbie
I'm going to start with some easy/hardy livestock.
Fish: Probably a pair of percs, regal tang, lawnmower blenny
Corals: Zoas, leathers, mushrooms
Inverts: Cleaner shrimp, turbo snails, fire shrimp

Robbie, have I asked you before if you're big into VW's?! That's yet another one of my many hobby's... lol.

looking good! I'd get a couple gulfstream mods for the maxijet 900's and keep the 1200 as a spare you'll get some crazy sporadic flow with them, awesome for corals!Ive heard great things about the coralife skimmers too.Keep the progress posts coming.
Are these the deflectors that look like the Koralia's?! Or the ones made by rio with two heads that spin?!

soo88

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Definitely looking nice so far :)

Any ideas of what you'd like to stock it with?
I'm always open to suggestions... everyone on this site is so helpful, which is why I decided to start this thread. Hoping to get some more contructive criticism (talk me into a sump), and of course love the appreciation for all the hard work (my wallets been flexing lately).

----------

So I brought some water to my lfs and did a few tests. Phosphate levels were a bit high, which means the tank is definetely still cycling. Kinda my fault by adding 20-30lbs of liverock almost weekly.

So I bought some of this to throw in the canister. Project for tonight, remove ALL media from the Eheim and replace with only the Rowa Phos.

mr_angryeyes

Don't fear the Reefer
Jul 8, 2007
Parma,OH
Are these the deflectors that look like the Koralia's?! Or the ones made by rio with two heads that spin?!
those rios stink imo

heres a pic and a link http://www.tritonaquatics.com/ this guy is the inventor of the gulfstream and the cheapest to get it.

55 gallon reeftank 069.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store