Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
6ft!?!? OMG! I wonder if there are more than 1 "c.calamistrum (calamistratum)"? or maybe growing conditions, age, bulb size? I got mine from a restaurant tank, LOTS of offsets but none over 20 inches or so tall & pretty thin leaves, 1/8 inch maybe. I don't remember for sure but I think it had CO2, no clue on lighting, at least "medium". Mine get new leaves but all are thin.

Yeah, I hear you on the Excel, I nuked the skinny 1's from my friend, they're not quite dead last I checked but very severely unhappy, the only tank I use Excel in. She has them growing in a greenhouse, minimal water movement but lots of sun. It "may" be v. nana but it spreads & even flowers quite readily underwater, she has a ton. That sounds closer to yours although skinnier than my "jungle-ish" val, but again growing conditions?

A plant club member has really tall (24") crazy spreading c. balansae he brings to almost every meet but they aren't so vigorous in my lower tech tanks. 1 is almost a "bonsai" tiny offset for me in a 20g long, not longer than 3 or 4 inches ever, after well over a year, lol. You never know!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I'll let the pictures speak for themselves as to the mess that has become...

This back left corner should be cool now when the rest of the Cyperus fills in unfortunately it came as the expense of moving it from the middle. It was such a huge plant gave most of it away and still had enough to fill this corner.

The foreground is filling in nicely thanks to one of club members ability to grow Marsilea minuta like a mad man.

Here's a close up of that hole in the middle that is driving me crazy at the moment.

FTS (Ignore the net forgot to take it out before the FTS)

One of the Buces had a natural swirl to it I thought I'd wrap it around a branch but the plecos have other ideas and are constantly disturbing it.

Anyone know what plant that is between the L. cardinalis and A. reinekii? I was told it maybe one of these two Ammannia pedicellata or Ammannia praetermissa. When I received it it was emersed growth so it looks completely different than when I got it. It was only 1 stem that is just growing like crazy.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, not to be mean, but Tom Barr's buces looked SO much happier in person, lol, let's blame the plecos. Gee, I can't even guess the mystery plant, it looks to be growing well...but dang, that bushy stuff in front of it is really happy! What is it?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well, not to be mean, but Tom Barr's buces looked SO much happier in person, lol, let's blame the plecos. Gee, I can't even guess the mystery plant, it looks to be growing well...but dang, that bushy stuff in front of it is really happy! What is it?
Totally agree my buces don't do so well in this tank interestingly I put a few in a PICO with just Co2 no dosing of Ferts with some 4 yr old ADA substrate and already have more new leaves there than I had in my 180g. The bush is Lobelia cardinalis which needs to be thinned out.

Not sure I'm happy with the plant selection in this tank so I'm debating switch gears just not sure when or to what.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Overall your tank looks awesome, Jay! Don't let a couple "less than" plant experiences throw you off your very nice tank. I always think of lobelia c. as being a yard & hummingbird attracting plant in many places, so I often forget it's also an aquarium plant...not nearly as nice as in the garden IMO, lol. Lovely red flowers in a moist part-sun area...I'm sorry I said your buccies were underperforming compared to Tom B.'s, you know I meant well, I'm glad they're growing better in your other tank!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Overall your tank looks awesome, Jay! Don't let a couple "less than" plant experiences throw you off your very nice tank. I always think of lobelia c. as being a yard & hummingbird attracting plant in many places, so I often forget it's also an aquarium plant...not nearly as nice as in the garden IMO, lol. Lovely red flowers in a moist part-sun area...I'm sorry I said your buccies were underperforming compared to Tom B.'s, you know I meant well, I'm glad they're growing better in your other tank!
A few members have been able to transition cardinalis back to terrestrial and I may try the same it is a beautiful plant. No worries I'm not concerned about the comparison to Tom Barr's Buces truth is there aren't too many hobbyist that can live up to that standard...LOL Most of the folks I know are having the same problems with Buces with one species or another being just rhizomes losing all leaves, in the same tank.

Curiously the pico has Co2 injection but no ferts average light no heater better growth. Once they get bigger I'll try to move them back to the 180g since you really didn't get much to start with when I bought these.

Beautiful tank!
Thank you.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OT: Hummingbirds love lobelia, especially the red cardinalis but blue & purple too. Mine self-seeded in both Del & Mass but you might want to wait until spring or do it ASAP. I've "heard" the "dwarf" lobelia is happier in tanks, but I've no experience, or killed it very fast, lol.

You know, Tom says many plants like CO2 more than any other param variable. Maybe that's true for buccies? They're slow(ish) growers very like anubias--oh wait, your anubias grow pretty fast, lol. It was interesting to see his tanks & learn from "a master", his bonsai trees & outdoor emersed HC were also amazing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store