My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
The epitome of DIY and a desire to build. I can't wait to see your new jewel complete and filled.

Q

tanyaj77

AC Members
Jul 8, 2006
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It looks great! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Wow, thanks for all the responses! here's some pics from this evening. Mostly just cleaning up the fillets on all the seams today and filling some of the 500ish screw holes. I'm going to seal the inside with black epoxy so I'll have a nice dark background. The outside will get filled and sanded then finished with a light grey or white gelcoat.

It will have a 50gal sump and bio tower underneath with a couple of pond pumps running it. Haven't made a lighting or substrate choice yet. I'd like to go cost effective on the substrate - so I was thinking like 3/8" gravel from a concrete yard or something, but I'd also like to go dark. black slag looks very nice, but I've read it has a lot of health consequences for the fish. Anyone have any dark, cheap substrate suggestions?

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
have you checked the price difference of building a plywood tank versus buying a glass tank the same size?

really want to see how this works out

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
wow the acrylic is not that much more than the glass smaller tanks its like double or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store