180Gal brought back to life - Old Hat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WhiskeySunday

AC Members
Aug 18, 2013
Los Angles, CA
Real Name
Chris
Just catching up on your post. I advise going against keeping clown loaches as they grow to be about 14". I personally prefer tanks that are stocked with as few different species as possible and having a lot more of those few species. This allows the fish to show their true nature and they will feel more comfortable in the tank if there are more of the same species. I suggest having a large school of 30 danios and or barbs would look really amazing in that 180 with 15 of the same species of cory cat rummaging around on the bottom. Or having 20 or more gourami minus the danios and barbs though. I have seen a 100g tank stocked purely with plants and Pearl Gourami's and it looked so amazing I didn't want to take my eyes off of it.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well since he brought it up partially i'll go all the way.if you ever want to do a species only tank then go with red eye tetras,they are amazing.in my 20 gallon i have 10 and i love them.they are feisty lil' guys and are basically like little sharks.or at least mine are.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
WhiskeySunday - Cheers that's a good idea, I wanted to get more Barbs but the LFS were all out. I also want to get the danio's pumping.

I really don't like tetra's that much tbh, but congo tetra's are pre sweet.

I'm tempted to over crowd molly's as well and farming them off when they get out of control.

I like cory's but I like bristlenose' better.

It's a stinkin hot day today, in Australia, outside there is no air just fire so there's a bit of lens flare on this pic below. (NOT ACTUALLY FIRE IT'S JUST BLOODY HOT - but there are some bush fires kicking around :|)

It's mostly just driftwood which I've salvaged - hopefully it's safe so far so good. I've got an awesome piece of tree root which is drying out which probably won't be good to go for a few months, but it's a big arch and straight with good thickness which will go nicely in the middle. I've posted to planted about fixing some anubis to the logs, see how I get on there.

20141217_164209.jpg

20141217_164209.jpg

WhiskeySunday

AC Members
Aug 18, 2013
Los Angles, CA
Real Name
Chris
Anubias on driftwood is a good idea but also Java Fern on drift wood is nice too, or both. Plus Java Fern grows slightly faster.

I am a big fan of Mollys as I have several wild caught sailfins myself. A bunch of those will look nice too. What type do you have? The only thing is that Mollys are slow growing unless you have a fairly strict regimen of 50% water changes every three days and a temperature of 80 degrees plus well fed. Which really only works in smaller grow out tanks. But if you don't mind the slow growth have at it. I recommend at least three females for every male. I have witnessed Sailfin behavior in the wild and there is usually 7 females to every male in a "school". Best!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Yeah it's a show tank more than anything. As for the type I have no idea, they're not sailfins, mickeymouse or ballon, so I guess you could call them the most common molly's of them all.

I don't mind the growth rate at all, and I've no idea how to sex molly's as well.

I've decided to leave the tank as is for now until I'm firm in my decision.

I'll try to get the anubias going soon. I want it to be a really busy tank with lots of activity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store