Planted Aquarium 180 Gal Stocking Options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I kept congos, cichlids, cigar sharks and rainbows together last year in a 225 and Honestly I am unsure towards the rainbows. they have a very high prey drive but if you grabbed some of the smaller ones it could work. Congos will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths, they are very beautiful and mix with just about anything, but they do get pretty big for tetras

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
I will definitely put some photo's up very soon! im not too computer savvy but ill work it out :)
but i do also agree with chilling out on stocking up to quickly, although i wouldn't think that adding 10 tetras, 4 rams and two ottos, (which are very small) into a well established tank would have that much effect on its bioload, would it?
Im pretty good with my water changes in relation to adding beneficial bacteria to the tank after every change.
unfortunately, there's a massive deal at a uhhh dfs (distant fish store). where i work, selling rummynose for 90c pf.
so im in two minds, get the deal and get the fish in a large school. or miss out and end up paying 2/3 bucks pf.
Now, as for gourami's the lfs and what ive seen on a few sites is that honey gouramis are ok. so their looking good so far. It will add some nice coloration to the tank.
Congo tetra's, my lfs was trying to sell those to me and sarpe tetra's as well as rainbow fish. stating all will be fine with shrimp as they occupy higher levels of the tank, didnt exactly believe him though, although my knowledge is limited.
But step by step. ill most likely be adding rummy nose tonight, and if the guy gives me a deal, maybe two gouramies but otherwise ill be waiting 14 days till anymore additions to the aquarium.
And i will also do another water change tonight (my last was 1 week ago)
Just to make sure everything is cruisy.
Thanks for helping me out guys,
it's giving me some great knowledge and idea's for what this baby will look like.
Ill try add a photo tonight.
Cheers,
Jason

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You've got a lot of water there, so you probably won't even see a water parameter change with the additions. My only concern is one or more of the new additions introducing a parasite or disease into the tank. I'd just keep a close eye on all in there and wouldn't add anything rare/expensive for now.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
that would suck for an outbreak of itch to occur :S
i do have a spare 50 gal and 10 gal tank which i could technically set up as quarantine tank.
mite be an idea.
Would i need to separate the fish completely? or would i be able to use a breeder net?
I guess not because its all the same running water but thought id ask the question anywho.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
that would suck for an outbreak of itch to occur :S
i do have a spare 50 gal and 10 gal tank which i could technically set up as quarantine tank.
mite be an idea.
Would i need to separate the fish completely? or would i be able to use a breeder net?
I guess not because its all the same running water but thought id ask the question anywho.
you have a spare 50 gallon?im guessing you do not have mts like me(i have it BIG TIME).

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
oh multiple tank syndrome ;).
yeah its totally spare, i had to move back home and my parents ripped into me about having multiple tanks. but i am leaving them with no choice when i build my second 6x2x2 tank. muhahahahah.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store