New 75... Give it to me straight guys. Good or bad.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
OK so here's the good news. I got a 75 gal tank for free through Freecycle.org. We're talking just a tank and screen top.

Bad news is there are some chips...

The Tank. 4'L X 18"D X 21 1/4"H Glass 3/8" thick.

DSCN5830.JPG

Trouble spot #1... mid tank. Chip is still sandwiched in between the seam/seal and glass.

DSCN5832.JPG

Side

DSCN5834.JPG

Trouble spot #2 3 1/2" down on center.

DSCN5838.JPG

Side

DSCN5839.JPG

I think I should clean and fill it up and see if it leaks.

Q

DSCN5830.JPG DSCN5832.JPG DSCN5834.JPG DSCN5838.JPG DSCN5839.JPG

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I would not fill it until you can provide proper reinforcement of those chips. If the chip goes to the seal, you will have trouble with it if you don't do this.

Clean the area with 30/70 vinegar and water. Get pieces of glass from the local glass place cut to fit 3/4" around the chip. You can ask the glass place for scrap glass if you feel DIYish and want to cut it yourself, but it would be better cut by a professional. They can also grind the sharp edges for you. It might cost you a few bucks for the pieces you need, but it will be worth it.

Put a glob of 100% silicone on the glass patch and stick it over the chip making sure that it's evenly placed. When you do a side, lay the tank over on that side, so the chip faces up and let gravity hold the patch in place. You can wipe the excess off with a damp towel. The dampness makes the silicone easier to deal with. (A little trick I learned from the guys who installed my counter tops.) Let it set up for a few hours before doing another side.

It may not be pretty, but you'll have peace of mind.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks pretty rough. It may clean up well though. Still thinking about whether I would use it as an aquarium.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Trouble spot #2 still has 1/4" of glass thickness left and being only 2" down from high tide doesn't really have me worried too much.

My big worry is trouble spot #1. If I can get some kind of really thin glue like a crazy glue to seep down in between the chip and the good glass to stabilize it I think I'd be OK with a light patch on the outside. No matter what I think I need a patch here.

Does anyone know of a very thin glue that might work?

Akapaul26: It was a reptile tank. Because of this the glass looks great with no mineral staining or etching as far as I've seen so far. I was thinking that at the very least this tank could be half aquarium and half terrarium.

Rbishop: Yeah... it's rough. This tank has been abused. Cleaning the glass will be the easy part on this find. the plastic frame has lots of deep scratches and gouges that will need to be addressed either by sanding or covering. The frame is much thicker and heavier than on a 55g so I have a little bit of material to play with. I'm not gonna go nuts over that though.

Q

PS: If it holds water this will put me up to 113 gallons of free tanks so far this year.

Last edited:

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Do NOT use super/crazy glue on glass. It has no give to it like silicone does and stress will send a fracture from that point across the entire piece when filled.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
making it into a half aquarium/half amphibians would be awesome. it would be some thing new and pretty cool. I'd do that with it. I bet you'd love it.

I work with poison dart frogs at a public aquarium. I went to the aquarium to work with fish and I LOVE working with the frogs. I never expected it but its great!

I'd research that option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store