My gourami gotta go :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

computerman0219

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Hello everyone again,
I have freshly started over with my new tropical 10gal fish tank. (at the bottom of signature is all my fish I currently have) I went to Pet Smart yesterday and bought me the fish listed below, but all is well except for the fact that my blue gourmi is bullying my angel fish around (The people at PetCo though told me that would work, and I heard of some people who have got it to work, but it didnt for me. The main fish that I was wanting was an angelfish so unfortunately the blue gourmi has got to go :( .I was wondering if any of guys (or girls) could give me some good ideas for me on what type of fish or fishes to get next. I know first of all Im going to get about 2 more female fancy guppies (hopefully to get them to breed) and two more glass catfish (since I found out that they are school or grouping fish) but I am looking for some ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Caleb:flamed:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I wouldnt add any more fish after you take the blue back since angels can get fairly large, and if your guppies start breeding the angel will make short work of the babies

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
You won't like hearing this, but unless you're getting a bigger tank, you should probably return the angel instead of the gourami. Angels get much bigger.

Viettxboii

AC Members
Aug 3, 2007
Edmonton Alberta Canada
you're quite overstocked there , and what kind of pleco , if its a common they get very large over a feet long ... 18 inches i believe and make a ton of waste so return that too! glass catfish also get to 6 inches each so iwould return that as well..

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
I agree, keep the gourami, return the angel, if its a commpn pleco return that too, and return the glass fish too. Go to a local fish store and stay out of the major pet stores (petco/petsmart) when looking for live stock. God forgive the employees they know not what they say.
Or get a larger tank...like a 40 or 55g and keep your fish you have (besides the pleco, return that) and not add a thing.

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
:iagree: Sorry to tell you this, but I think they are all right on the money. I have read that Angels should not be in a tank shorter then 18" because they need to have clearance from top to bottom fin and remain in the water. They can get pretty tall if you measure them that way.

Best of luck.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
Go to a local fish store and stay out of the major pet stores (petco/petsmart) when looking for live stock. God forgive the employees they know not what they say.
Ummm, hate to break it to you but even the LFS can be more stupid than petsmart/petco/anything else. I had a very unusual experiance with a LFS in Boiling Springs, weird guy. Told me to throw out my test kits, throw out all that I've learned so far and go in it blindly :thud::bs:

Lets not brand all the pet places in one swift stroke. My petsmart people actually know what they are doing.

computerman0219

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Thanks to all!!! I see what yall are saying but my friend has had an angelfish in is 10gal for about 2 years and never had a problem with it. Unless its just an absolutly a no-no then I wont do it, but I like to try to keep the angel fish because mom and dad wont let me get a bigger tank :(. But far as my gourmi goes, I think I have the rare very aggressive one, because he is even bullying my guppies around. IN my guppies I have noticed they are starting to turn like a reddish color inside, what happening?

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I wouldn't get any more fish until the angel fish is moved out of the ten gal.
Min tank size for an angelfish is either 20-30 gal.

If space is an issue, maybe your parents would let you get a high style tank.
If it's a cost issue, there's that special sale going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store