My gourami gotta go :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

computerman0219

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
My angelfish right now is only about 2in long from very top to very bottom. Its a small one. Somebody told me that they will only grow as big as the tank will let them, and not to much harm done, is there any truth to that, or is that myth busted?

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
Take the angelfish and the Gourami back to the petstore. It is a no-no to keep angels in a 10g. Aside from being stunted, Angels should grow about the size of a man's hand full grown (give or take an inch or so) and will not in a 10g. It will be stunted in a 10g which will leave it more susceptible to disease and will cause it to die prematurely.

The gourami will get around 5 inches and can be aggressive. It does not belong in a 10g either.

Glass catfish also shouldn't be kept in a 10g tank. Depending on what species you have, they will get anywhere from 3 to 6 inches. They also need a school and 6 3" fish should be kept in atleast a 20g tank IMO as they need more room.

If you Pleco is a common pleco, might as well return it as well. The can reach 2 ft long and will be stunted in a 10g and die prematurely.

Please, Please research before you buy unless you know about the fish you are getting. :)

computerman0219

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Ok thanks for the advice, but all the fish I bought were from petsmart and according to the label on the fish they had said that they could all be placed in a 10g....so thats why I bought them, but I admit I was in a rush, and now I pay for it, because I drove over an hour to get these fish, and now I got to drive back to take them back.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
maybe you can just pick up a bigger tank ;)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
usually at petsmart the information cards list a minimum tank size. that means that you can start off with a 10g tank, but that is the smallest you can go, and you'll have to get a bigger tank.

it is sometimes true that fish will only grow to the size of their tank, but that's not a good thing. fish become stunted by a tank that is too small, and develop health problems. their body grows abnormally, their internal organs have trouble functioning, their color doesn't look as nice as it should, their immune systems are compromised and they end up dying early deaths from stress, organ failure, and minor diseases and infections that, if they were healthy, would not have been a problem.

also, there is a limit to the number of fish that can fit into a 10g. a 10g can certainly hold a few guppies, OR a small group of glass cats, OR a pair or trio or gouramis. . . . but not all of it together.

ostrangeone89

AC Members
May 31, 2007
BC, Canada
but I like to try to keep the angel fish because mom and dad wont let me get a bigger tank
hehehe ever heard of being rebellious? did I just say that? :headshake2: :lipssealedsmilie:

Start looking on craigslist for a bigger tank! You know eventually you'll get mts :headbang2: How come your parents won't let you? If you pay it for yourself you might be able to do it. My poor parents! I'm only allowed to have my 10 gallon in the living room anything else and it has to stay in my bedroom! But thats okay :D THey didn't say I couldn't have anymore! I am a horriable child, my mom says don't do it and I do it!

computerman0219

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Any body know where I can get a tall 20gal tank for cheap? I have tried craiglist...but they was still wanting like $100 for it, I have also tried ebay but none are near my area b.c. its only local pick-up.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
PetCo has the $1 per gallon sale on until the 2nd of Sept.

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Thanks to all!!! I see what yall are saying but my friend has had an angelfish in is 10gal for about 2 years and never had a problem with it. Unless its just an absolutly a no-no then I wont do it, but I like to try to keep the angel fish because mom and dad wont let me get a bigger tank :(. But far as my gourmi goes, I think I have the rare very aggressive one, because he is even bullying my guppies around. IN my guppies I have noticed they are starting to turn like a reddish color inside, what happening?
In my limited experience, it isn't rare for any gourami to be somewhat aggressive. I've decided that when they are described as "peaceful" it is the way they swim. Good luck!

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
For now the angel is not to big for the tank. The angel is not going to grow larger overnight. It will take time. But if u plan on keeping it, plan on pricing a bigger tank for the future. That being said if u want to keep both the gourami and angel, u need to get a bigger tank real soon. They will then need their space. The gourami will need more horizontal swimming area as it grows. The gourami may cause problems for other fish also if they don't have enough room to keep their space. I've had both a blue and gold gourami before and still have an angel. If i had to choose now just for this tank, i would keep the angel. But dont put off getting at least a 20g within a years time.
Gouramies can get aggressive at times and sometimes wont put with other gouramies, specialy the same kind; blue or gold. If just the gouramies with other fish, i would recomend a bigger tank whenever u can afford it. Even a 20 gal may be too small for both angel and gourami when their both full grown. That may be awhile though. In my opinion the gourami may grow alittle quicker, from my experience.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store