euthanization of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
What is the "proper way" to put a fish out of its misery? and what would you guys consider grounds for euthanizing a fish?

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
It says in the article to add vodka to make sure the fish doesn't wake up....is this necessary?

So then you can't use straight clove oil??

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
How about freeing the fish? sure, it may be a little painful or slow, but at least the fish will be able to experience freedom for once in its life, let it go into a pond or stream, then eventually it will become a tasty and exotic treat for a local small animal

Jun 25, 2007
Ive heard alka-selter tablets is the fastest way to do it without causing any pain to the fish.
I tried Alka Seltzer a couple of years ago, the last time I had to euthanize a fish. It sure looked painful.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
freezer method has worked for me. Fill a ziplock bag with water put the fish in and put it in the freezer the cold air knocks the fish out and they die pretty quickly. Setting a fish out into a stream or pond is not a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store