euthanization of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TAMIOFVISE

I love the Baja
May 26, 2007
OHIO
Well and I really don't know how much a fish feels.I have read info for years that lobsters don't feel pain when they are being boiled alive. [ YIKES ] I know we probably have many fisherman here to. Not a pretty sight watching those fish on t.v. getting clubbed to death.Especially sharks, dolphins etc.I always hope my little fish don't feel alot of pain.My tank has been thru hell the past 2 months.I felt like I really watched some suffering. I suffered with them.I often wondered how much pain a tiny brain can feel.Anyone know? The killing of any animal is a horrible sight. Humans included don't deserve to suffer [well most of them] ,who wants to suffer, no one. Life and death can be cruel. Hope I'm not getting to deep.

rcervel

AC Members
Sep 29, 2007
New York
Would anyone consider euthanizing a fish if it lost one or both of its eyes?

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
Having had to do in two of my white cloud Minnows recently (they were wasting away from starvation even though I was overfeeding) even after trying to QT them and feed them up, I didn't like doing it but as I don't have any clove oil and spending the time to make iced water for the big freeze would have taken longer I just put the poor little sods in a paper towel and squeezed their heads.

I'm sorry if this sounds horrible and believe me it was but I figured that it was quick enough as they were both very week to begin with.

Just for the record I will be looking out for some clove oil as I don't want to have to do that again.
so let me get this, you killed your fish because it wasnt eating? :wall:
---------------------------------

And just a general clarification, there is a big difference between putting fish in a cup of water and let it freeze to death slowly in the fridge(This is torture and extremely painful) vs dropping fish into a cup of near freezing temperature water, which will cause almost instant heart failure and death (much more humane)

Of course the best way is still try to keep your fish alive....or use clover oil if you really want to kill it.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I can't wrap my head around how freezing a fish is a humane way to kill it. I've had the misfortune to get extremely cold by falling through the ice on 2 occasions. Freezing cold water hurts before you get numb.

I only use the very sharp knife method of killing when I have to. It's almost instant and that's why I use it.

Q

Cyberpaddy66

Fast Learning Novice
Apr 16, 2007
Plumstead, London, UK
so let me get this, you killed your fish because it wasnt eating? :wall:
No I put them out of their misery because they were too weak to swim and just sat on the bottom of the tank gasping or being pushed about by the water current so that they couldn't have known which way was up.

Trust me I really tried to help them both survive but one of them kept getting stuck to the filter of the QT tank even though the intake was turned right down to a gentle flow. I even tried crushing the food up really fine so that they didn't have to chew it but each time they took a bit in it just blew out of their mouths again.

I seriously believe I did the right thing and I am sad but it had to be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store